Open Loop vs Air Source with Well

Discussion in 'Open Loop' started by Patmac, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Patmac

Patmac New Member

I am building a new custom home soon. I have to drill a well to approximately 300ft (according to my neighbor) in Central PA for domestic use. I am considering an open loop system, but I was wondering about the rough cost difference between an air source heat pump system and the geo system. I assume that I'd have to drill an injection well. Is that usually the only major cost difference or do the mechanicals and ducts cost more too? Lastly, if I used floor trusses or engineered I-beams, would that make installation cheaper?

I should add that the goal is to build the house and finish the basement later. I'm not sure how one would plan to scale the system up when the basement is finished in about 4 years or so. Each floor is roughly 1500 sqft.

As a side note, we plan to install a pool. I know that some people have considered using it in a system, but I am assuming a separate air-source system would be more appropriate in my climate. Am I wrong about this?

Thank you,
    Patrick

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Duct work is duct work as far as a heat pump is concerned. The delivery side sizing rules stay the same with air source or geo.

I have seen some of the manufactured dimensional lumber prohibit drilling holes through the joist. Not impossible to work with but it can cause creative solutions to get around the prohibition.

The project we are working on just north of Columbus Ohio has been plumbed to use the water to water geothermal heat pump to be used to heat the pool while cooling the home.

I do not know of any heat loss that includes a basement. If you are concerned about it make it a floor and plug it in, then design to those numbers.

Mark

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Talk to your driller Now!, not later. The success of a open loop system lies entirely with the supply and the discharge. Based on your homes tonnage you will need 1.5- 2gpm per ton to run the system as well as supply your domestic needs. If the well will not produce the needed gpm this conversation is mute. As to recharge... every state and county differ, some will make you drill a recharge well, some let you dump it in the creek.
    Hope this helps
    Eric