One year old Climate Master

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bjb1313, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bjb1313

bjb1313 New Member

My house is 20 years old, and previously had a Geo Water Furnace. Had it replaced last year, and all is great except for a smoky, or musty odor. I do not smoke and house is exceptionally clean, and can't understand this odor. My furnace vents have never been cleaned, registers are all clean, and wondering how often furnace vents should be cleaned by a professional. Any suggestions? Also, furnace is quite noisy, a definite whine, which my installer says is when the compressor kicks on. Never noticed it with my Water Furnace. Thanks for any input you may have.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What CM model do you have? What tonnage?

3. bjb1313

bjb1313 New Member

Tranquility 27, 3 Ton. Thx for the reply

4. docjenser

I am not sure if you are confident or handy enough to open the unit. Be aware of high valtage wiring and hot pipes.

In case you do, try to push down the discharge copper pipe coming out from the top of the compressor. See if that makes the high pitch noise go away when you push down the line.

5. Howard Ek

Howard Ek Member

Pump-and-dump or a closed ground loop? If it is pump-and-dump, you may be hearing the squeal of the water as it passes through your flow control mechanism. If this is your case, put a 3/4" globe valve on the circuit and tighten it down so it does not squeal.

6. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

make sure shipping bolts are removed from compressor

7. docjenser

High pitch noise seems to be a resonance amplification from the compressor discharge line.

I have only seen it in 3 ton TTV 038 units. Yes, make sure the shipping bolts are loose, and see if the noise goes away if you push down the copper line. Careful, line is hot.

8. steely

steely New Member

I am having this exact problem with the compressor line. Driving me crazy. Did a google search and brought me here where I found this post and learned the cause of the high pitch sound. How is this issue fixed/quieted? Thank you in advance.

9. docjenser

2 fixes, exchange the compressor (the reason is a faulty supply part Copeland used in some of their compressor batches) or add a line weight (Climatemaster has a fix kit). The added mass will change the resonance frequency of the compressor discharge line, they claim it is a fix.

10. steely

steely New Member

They have installed the line weights. 2 pieces of rubber and hose clamps. They have promised that the working ability of the compressor is not compromised. The kit probably took 90-95% of the noise away. Still faint. But no longer obnoxious and annoying. Should I make an issue of it? As far as noise.... I can live with it now.

11. ==========

I agree that if the problem is noise only, operation of compressor probably not affected, a "cosmetic" problem.

Make sure cabinet cover is insulated with rubber based insulation, if possible, or something else. There are some brands out there, very sticky on one side, 3/4" insulation on the other. (it absorbs noise) and you can also add steam rated insulation around the discharge line, (might want to make it removable)

That should render it almost silent if covers are on.

12. docjenser

It is a bit more than that. The problem is that the compressor vibration is at a frequency which is the resonance frequency for the discharge pipe, which means it amplifies the amplitude, thus the sound. If you ever wonder what resonance frequency amplification can do, you might remember the video of the Tacoma bridge collapse in 1940 which presumably everyone had seen in physics class.<br />

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse "Gallopin' Gertie" - YouTube

<br />
    In the past resonance frequency amplifications have cause material failure and refrigerant leaks. The weight changes the mass of the pipe and therefore changes the resonance frequency.

But at the end of the day it is a band aid.

Now, when I opened on of the new Hydrons, guess what I saw coming standard from the factory? I line weight on the compressor discharge line!

13. AMI Contracting

In the cost v benefit discussion of the equivelent of heat pump open heart surgery (replacement) and band aid fix, there is a lot less to go wrong with the band-aide.
    With a 10 year compressor warranty, I think you have plenty of time to decide if the compressor isn't going to stand up.

14. docjenser

I had a couple material failures. The copper pipe essentially broke due to the large amplitude and the units lost all the refrigerant. Thus I have lost some confidence in the fix. Then a controlled situation becomes an emergent situation. Plus the annoying sounds does not always goes away fully.

You are right, it is certainly a judgement call.

15. AMI Contracting

Hmmmm yeah that sounds a little disturbing. Just recently reunited with CM hopefully I dodged this bullet.

16. docjenser

They stopped production until they had found the problem and fixed it, so you should be good now. I think only 3 ton TT027 were affected. It was a supply part inside the cope scroll compressor, and they claim it was an Industry wide problem, affecting all manufacturer's 3 ton units. Never heard any admittance from WF. But as I said, the new Hydrons had the line weight standard, probably as a pre-caution.

There was a technical bulletin from CM for their older piston compressors, it seems an inherent problem. Again, it resurfaced in some units last year, but they have eliminated it.

Attached Files:

17. chris.allgood

chris.allgood New Member

I had CM a 3 ton tranq 27 unit installed this year and have the same high pitched noise coming from it. My installer said it was normal and I would have to get used to it. I think this guy does not know what he is talking about. Where can I get the line weight kit that you describe? I combed the CM website but cannot find anything about it.

18. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It can only be purchased by a certified dealer and the kit is on our dealer website portal. I would recommend contacted another professional in your area that knows exactly what they are talking about!