older WaterFurnace leaking oil, what to do next?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by supercoldbob, Jan 23, 2014.

1. supercoldbob

supercoldbob New Member

Hi all, I have a 19 yr old WaterFurnace Premier 2 that has some oil in the lower compartment. I believe its compressor oil so that means time for what? I think my unit is 3-4 ton, model ATV057C for a 2200 sq foot office, with 2 300 foot wells. All is super with the unit over the last 19 years, with one fan motor issue. Can I replace the compressor only or is it smarter to replace the entire furnace with new tech, and how much? I live in upstate NY not close to any major cities and had trouble getting anyone to service the fan motor 4 yrs ago. Would like your advice. thanks everyone. (not cold yet ) bob

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi Bob and welcome.

Does the air blow up or does it blow down?

Where is the oil?

If it is oil from the compressor you have a refrigerant leak. To fix the unit at age 19 you would need to find the leak, repair it if possible, then evacuate the refrigerant side and then recharge it with I am guessing R-22 which is hard to find these days and very expensive.

If you where my customer I would advise replacement rather than repair.

The unit with a 57 in the m/# makes think it is five tons.

We changed out a 19 year old WF last week.

What is your zip code?

Mark

3. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi supercooled bob. In my experience I would probably recommend replacement but depends on is it an actual leak.

Where are you in upstate ny? We are in Rochester but seem to be traveling all over as folks are in the same shoes as you....finding qualifies contractors

When people call, I always say ...spring loaded and coin operated put a quarter in and pull the lever and we will come...ooo and that I accept credit card and bartering

4. supercoldbob

supercoldbob New Member

Hi guys, my unit flow air upward. The oil in in the bottom compartment and seems to come from the black wrapped lines in the middle. We are slightly surprised at this but I know after 19 yrs! Mark my zip is 12167, and Aces-Energy I'm a ways from Rochester. What am I looking at if I replace with same unit, this is all i need, we have very little hot water needs and heat over Air is the obvious. thanks bob

5. Mark Custis

Bob:
    An up-flow system means that the unit is in-stock some place near you. We just replaced a counter-flow left return unit we had to have Bosch build and ship. It took two weeks to get it. It was worth the wait.

I will not price your replacement here. Aces is closer.

We could come up and make the change with a little bit of strong back help.

Mark

6. Mark Custis

Do you have emergency heat?

Mark

7. supercoldbob

supercoldbob New Member

OK thanks, I have Aux heat on the thermo and got the Emeg. electric heat. Hope this gets thru the heat season, I also running a backup propane unit that adds alot of BTU's and I installed it under the air return for the Geo so the hot air goes all over. I installed the propane unit in 1999 in preparation for the world electric collapse on Jan 1 2000, LOL. Bob