Old FHP replacement Drainpan

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rogerpug, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Rogerpug

Rogerpug New Member

I have an old FHP system that I inherited when I purchased my house. The unit has been working great for the 13 years I have been living there. It still works great with heating and cooling, except the drainpan is rusted through and we are getting a lot of water leaking out the bottom.

We have had a couple different people out, and most are saying to replace the unit. I understand the unit is old, but if the only issue is the drainpan is rusted, I can't see paying $9k. I have been told that the unit is from the 80's and will die soon. I understand that, but the cooling and heating have been working great other than the leak when the air conditioning is on, so I would like to ride it as long as I can so I can start saving for a new unit.

The one tech who came out called FHP directly to see if they had a replacement drain pan, and they do not carry them anymore. Is there anywhere I can call who may have replacement parts for such an old system? The model number I have is SL045-1VTC.

Thanks

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A sheet metal guy can likely build one for you with little difficulty. Either have them out, or drop by their shop with the required dimensions.

3. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I agree with Chris

4. Rogerpug

Rogerpug New Member

I did check with one sheet metal guy, and he was quoting $650 to do something. He said it would be a 1 foot by 2 foot piece he would need to make. I thought the quote was a little high, and have had friends say the same. Do you know if this sounds about right, or should I keep looking around?

5. Fabricated pan should be about $50 and then maybe and hour of labor to install. It really is just a patch though, but should outlive the rest of the unit.

6. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

If the old pan is not completly gone, one could turn the rest of the rust into plastic. One could do that with a fiberglass kit at any good auto parts store. I am guessing about $20.00.

Mark

7. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

I would count on more than an hour of labor most times you are changing a coil pan.

8. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A bit more than an hour to swap a failed condensate drain pan...Ya don't say!

We just fought a cracked drain pan (along with a leaky evap coil) on an attic-installed horizontal package unit. We have 20 plus staff hours into it all told. Just fabricating walk and workboards to safely access the beast with minimal risk to staff and ceiling drywall was 6 hours.

Disassembling the unit in such a confined space was another 3 hours, discovery of the cracked (epoxied joints failed in two places, PLUS poorly connected drain line) coming after we pulled the bum coil necessitated another site visit along with the back office routine of getting the part from Indiana.

Then there was the reassembly labor, testing, etc.

My guess is the cracked pan existed from day one, the system having caused ceiling damage once already, though the incorrectly parallel-wired dual float switches was complicit in the prior water damage as well.

My point is that nothing is anywhere near as easy as it seemingly ought to be.

9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

So I'm not alone:)

Today, I spent all day finishing off the odds on a 2-unit instal. Had to run wiring I thought was done among other things.

Went to charge the system and the non-pressurized leaked out the bottom. Somewhere around the factory installed elbows. No way to tighten as was, so had to disconnect entire unit. It is currently sitting in the back of the van as I gather liquid energy (beer). Tomorrow will be better.

10. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes had a product the evening of the 3rd, low on R410. Micron gauge showed no leak, but I didn't happen to have enough R410 with me. Had to go back the 4th as they had AC before I started. After recharging unit, found it had a faulty circuit board. Fortunately customer was patient.
    Might have tried that liquid energy Chris but for some reason it doubles as an ambition blocker for me.....LOL

11. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

For me, Chris's form of liquid energy is compatible only with easy and pleasant tasks such as balancing air flow, configuring thermostats and zone boards while basking in the AC

It is a bit of a demotivator when dealing with unpleasant, hot, sweaty tasks in attics, etc. "Tomorrow" quickly looks better and better for the misery at hand.

As to OP's original question, Mark C may be right - if the rusted pan can be accessed, something might be done to leakproof it - perhaps any of epoxy, fiberglass, JB Weld, etc.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013