Oil prices going up, geo is looking better and better!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sunnyflies, Jan 23, 2011.

1. sunnyflies

sunnyflies Member Forum Leader

My brother called me a few days ago grousing about how much he has been paying for oil to heat his house and his office building at $3.49 a gallon. He had just switched fuel companies to get a lower price, $3.35 a gallon, but knew it wouldn't be of much help for long with oil continuing to rise. I had to laugh and tell him, Geothermal is looking pretty good round about now, isn't it? He agreed. He's been putting it into customer's homes lately. They will be glad they spent the money, just as I have been, when they don't get any more oil bills. :D

2. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

Agreed. It is hard to shell out all the cash for geothermal, but it's one of the best decisions I've made.

3. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

Yep. When I signed the geo contract in late summer 2008,
    fuel oil was north of $4.00 and climbing rapidly. Geo was
    a no-brainer then, and seems to be headed that way again.

In retrospect, the $$$ savings are great but there are also
    major intangible benefits that I hadn't anticipated: quiet,
    odor-free, low maintenance, superb warm & cozy comfort
    with freedom to set the stat as high as I damn well please.

4. sunnyflies

sunnyflies Member Forum Leader

" ... quiet, odor-free, low maintenance, superb warm & cozy comfort
    with freedom to set the stat as high as I damn well please." [/QUOTE]

Absolutely! So true.

My husband, originally a big time doubter - mostly because of the upfront price, loves our system now. He's the one who pushes up the thermostat, much to my amusement. :)

5. geome

geome Member Forum Leader

I'm sure this is difficult to quantify, but do you see much of an increase you see in your utility bills with every degree increase on the thermostat?

6. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

Since going to geo, we just laugh every time a utility bill
    arrives. Geo is so cheap, compared to dinosaur juice,
    that we really pay no attention to utility costs anymore.

Heat + AC + hot water is under $1000/year -- no matter
    where the t-stat is set.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

That's hard to track without having the same average daily temperature from month to month, or the same number of days per billing cycle, etc. But as already said, you'll basically laugh at your bills. We used to be ~$100-120 a month for electric and $600 for oil (@$3.60 a gallon) during the winter months. We are now ~$170-200 a month electric for the geothermal and normal electric use (@ about $.14 per kwh after taxes).