New York Oil is cheaper

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Testimonials' started by the blur, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Terry Hewitt

Terry Hewitt New Member

Either your house is on the lower spectrum of the duct blower test or your unit was not sized correctly. you should never size your geothermal unit to do 100 % of your thermal heating load. A little back up strip heater, electric boilers or even back up oil fired hydro coil should take care of the lag in keeping your geothermal operating efficiently. I have installed geothermal units that have operated at -10 degrees without any hi electric bills.

2. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Geo is cheaper for me!
    I have solar power that covers my house and my EV car. The solar array has paid for itself. I bank enough power in the summer to cover my winter Geo heat. Oil could be .10 a gallon and it would be more expensive to heat with. I am being green and saving green, it works for me.

Noobie likes this.
  3. Noobie

Noobie New Member

Yup. Me too. Now, if the local utility would just approve my Sonnen 32kw batteries, I’ll be fine even in a grid outage

4. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Nice battery pack!

5. Noobie

Noobie New Member

Eversource has had a number of objections, but we eventually will overcome them. I drive a Tesla, and tried a number of Tesla designs for storage, but their gateway is limited to 200A, and they would have had to trench a lot between the detached garage where our ground based solar panels are and the utility room on the opposite side of the house.

Apropos of this thread, I kept the oil tank gauge as a souvenir of the oil burner I removed. I still have a propane emergency generator. Once I install an induction cooktop, I will be living in a combustion free house (I don’t count the fireplace).

6. the blur

the blur Member

3 years later. Price of oil is up again. So there is no easy solution to which is cheaper to run for heat. Luckily I have oil for aux, so I can choose which way to heat. When it comes to A/C, geo is amazing. But NY climate requires more days of heating than cooling.