Non-metal Buffer tank recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jlifton, Nov 17, 2019.

1. jlifton

jlifton New Member

Since my 8 year old metal buffer tank leaked I'm considering replacing it with fiberglass or other non rusting material. It doesn't need water heating capability just storage. I don't want to spend $1200 for another Marathon water heater, that's what I have for the finishing tank.

Any help appreciated, thanks

2. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

metal tank with periodic anode rod changes will be the cheapest route. there are Marathon storage tanks (non powered). not sure how much of a discount you get for the non-powered version relative to their powered brothers/sisters.

3. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

Did your metal buffer tank have an anode rod installed? If so, what was the condition of the anode rod when it started leaking? If your anode rod was completely consumed during that 8 year period, you may just need to replace with a similar tank and plan on inspecting and replacing the anode rod at a more frequent interval, say every 4 years.

4. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

5. jlifton

jlifton New Member

Thanks, my unit did not have an anode. I'll check that out.

6. jlifton

jlifton New Member

The tank did not have an anode so I'll be checking into a metal tank with an anode. Also will make sure to change the anode every 4-5 years just in case. Thanks for the info

7. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

i have gotten new anode rods from "waterheaterrescue dot com" I'd post a link but every time I do it, it takes days for my post to show up. without an anode rod, I'm surprised it even lasted a year or more

8. jlifton

jlifton New Member

Thanks for the info. I checked out their website - lot of good info. on water heaters.