New system install

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by StevieB, Jul 30, 2011.

1. StevieB

StevieB Member

I am installing a 2T Climatemaster downflow. With info from the forum I changed from horizontal, in the crawl space, to the downflow, and I am adding a separate buffer tank for HWG.
    My system is simple. 300' bore, level with my house, as close as practical. single pump flow center. I don't have the installation manual on this device yet.
    I have poured over everything in this forum and others out there. I have justified the geo based on technology and the maturity of the residential product.
    I want to do it right the first time.
    I have a couple of questions and I know the smarts are available here.
    1) Should I install from the beginning a PFU-100? If the purge is right will it be needed?
    2) With the vertical loop started up around Labor Day or a little later, what will the winter offer for anticipated performance in Middle Tennessee? Will next summer be typical after the first winter?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

A properly flushed system can be left alone.
    I'm not sure I get your second question- it would seem that you are referring to energy banking (heat put in the ground in the summer raises winter COP etc.), benefit from such is greatly exaggerated (heat moves to less heat......you don't have 1 giant hot spot around your loops in the summer, the heat dissapates, by and large, or you couldn't cool your house).
    j

3. StevieB

StevieB Member

Thanks, Joe.
    You are right as to my second question. So the sytem does not need a season to "spin up" to achieve reasonable performance. Also the purge question was as I anticipated. Thanks again, Steve

4. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

One area where systems sometimes take a year to get up to speed is the reconsolidation of soil around loop tubes in horizontal systems. Air voids around tubes slow heat transfer.

Folks might wait a year for natural settling, aided by rainfall and snowmelt to get things up to speed or help matters along with extra watering, soaker hoses buried part way down, or use of lots of water during backfill.