New here. Trying to figure my options. NexGen Energy?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by PatDTN, Sep 29, 2018.

1. PatDTN

PatDTN New Member

I live in East Tennessee. We get pretty hot and humid here but generally not super cold for long. I currently have natural gas heat which just died. My ac compressor has been noisy for years and may be on its way out.

If I'm replacing my ac and heat I want to check out geothermal.

I did some searching figuring I'd have to have wells drilled because of the terrain here when I found this: http://www.nexgenenergy.net/index.html. This would work very easily at my house and I have filled out their contact form to get an idea of what they can do for me. It's Saturday so I won't start the clock on them yet.

The technique sounds good though. I have a four car basement garage with my current furnace in the corner. Easy access for this install. My house is brick two story about 4000 sq feet with part of the basement below grade.

Does anyone have any experience with NexGen Energy? Are they the only ones using this technique?

Thanks,
    Pat

2. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

It doesn't look like that pipe driver would work if you have rock anywhere near the surface. Also, geothermal loop lines can get below freezing in winter. That is why many installations, especially farther north, have anti-freeze installed in the loop. If the loop lines drop below freezing, then the ground water around the lines freezes which can cause uplift of the basement slab used in the example from that site.

If you have natural gas available, your payback on installing a geothermal system will likely be many years if ever compared to the cost of installing a new high efficiency gas furnace and split AC system or high efficiency heat pump with natural gas backup heat. I have a friend here in Arkansas that has one of the latest two-speed high efficiency heat pumps with backup natural gas heat that kicks in around 35 deg F outside temperature and he is extremely pleased with the comfort and operating costs.

3. PatDTN

PatDTN New Member

I hadn't considered freezing the ground under my slab. My house was built in 2003 and the furnace sits near the middle. I'd be surprised if there was enough moisture there to cause a problem.

It's all a moot point for now. The company hasn't gotten back to me yet -- bad sign. Also my service guy came yesterday. He couldn't find any problems except that it was screwing up. He pulled a wire out of a terminal block, took some more readings, and put the wire back. Somehow that fixed my problem.

I can wait a while now.

Thanks for your reply. If I decide to go this way in the future I'll definitely check for moisture with a small hole.