New construction in Buffalo area - trying to make smart decision

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by IsItForMe, Jul 27, 2021.

1. IsItForMe

IsItForMe New Member

Hi All,

I had an amazing Waterfurnace "docjenser system" installed in my home in the Buffalo area in 2019, and now we're going to start building a new house in the spring. We really, really want to make the math work with a new system, but it's expensive to build a new house so we're not sure it will be viable.

The one unknown that we're trying to track down is what a typical cost for installing a natural gas line from the road would be. It looks like the first 100 feet are free, but the cost per foot after that seems to a mystery. My local utility, National Fuel, won't even discuss pricing until an address for the house is established. This requires a building permit, and I'm trying to sort this out before then.

I really, really don't want to have to use natural gas for heating, but I'm not yet in a position to make an informed decision.

Does anyone here have a budgetary number for gas line cost per linear foot? We'll be 600 feet back from the road.

Any advice, or potential incentives from Waterfurnace for repeat customers?

thanks

2. bpsmicro

bpsmicro New Member

Would you likely use gas for anything else? Stove/oven, generator, BBQ, fireplace? If you expect to use any of those, you'd be paying for the gas run anyway. *Not* having a gas run may negatively affect your resale value down the road.

If you then assume you'll be getting gas anyway, then it doesn't enter into the equation for your HVAC. The only other thing that then enters is if you'll need to pay for a separate air conditioner for cooling. But yeah, expensive. :-(

I'm afraid I can't help with your actual question though.