Pennsylvania New Carrier compressor HUM!

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kone, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Kone

Kone New Member

Carrier Geo installed last year. When the low stage heat is on the hum noise is very annoying to me. High stage or cooling it’s very quiet. Had tech here and he looked at a bunch of stuff, particularly how/why/if the noise is being transferred. They say the noise is normal otherwise. Shipping bolts are removed, etc Whem the unit shuts off it seems to me the compressor shakes sorta violently.

Been living with it but as heating season is ending I’m thinking about it as I don’t want to listen to it next year.

My main question is, standing right beside the unit does it hum loudly?

Thanks!

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

High and welcome!

If the noise bothers you, lets fix it. How is the unit mounted? Where is it located? Split or package unit? On isolator pads or not?
    Hope this helps and gets you thinking.
    Eric

3. Kone

Kone New Member

Sitting on cement basement floor. Does have a rubber pad underneath.
    Not sure what split or package means?

I do have another call into my hvac company asking same basic question.

I was down there earlier poking around and noticed that the desuperheater line going into the bottom of the storage tank vibrates noticeably. The whole tank vibrates as well and the vibration seems to be transmitted out to the cold water lines that head out through the house. The hum is more noticeable in different parts of the house, especially the master bath and the attached laundry room. The cold water pipes could be transmitting the hum I’d think? Maybe some sort of isolator on the pipe after it leaves the tank?

Thanks!

4. waterpirate

Noise and vibration transfer from plumbing pipes is common. Patience and small steps can solve your trouble. How are the pipes attached to the wall or cielieng exiting the desuperheater?
    Eric

5. Kone

Kone New Member

Copper clamps to the sides of the basement stairway. The tanks and ge sit under the steps. Thanks again.

6. waterpirate

A rigid mount is a bear for vibration transfer. Pending your techs input, some foam pipe insulation around the pipe in the area where the clamp attaches to the pipe and loosen the screws may go far in reducing your issue.
    Eric