Nest Learning Thermostat for Tranquility 22?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Scott Geiger, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

1. Scott Geiger

Scott Geiger Tranquility 22 Geothermal Owner

Hello,

My Tranquility 22 was installed in 2015 and I'd like to replace the Climatemaster thermostat with the Nest Learning Thermostat. Has anyone here ever replaced their CM thermostat with this one? I've looked at Nest's website and I am still unsure if it's compatible or not.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

Nest products don't have many fans here. What can the thermostat learn that can't be programmed?

3. Scott Geiger

Well, I understand that but was wondering if it even worked with a Tranquility 22.

Or perhaps the Ecobee. I'm also considering it as a replacement to the standard thermostat that came with my unit.

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

If you have electric supplemental/back up or emergency heating elements, the tstat needs 3 heating and 2 cooling stages to work.

I like my climatemaster communicating tstat. Mostly use it as "set and forget".

I don't think a "learning" tstat is going to be the most efficient way to operate a heat pump system. You really don't want it raising and lowering temps, running full tilt then shutting off, like with a fossil fuel system.

5. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

^^What he said^^

I have a basic Honeywell tstat on my Tranquility 27 and rarely touch it more than twice a year - to change from heat to cool and back again. Not knowing much about the Nest, are there features about it that interest you?

6. Scott Geiger

Okay, I've moved on from the Nest learning tstat.

What I want is the ability to check the thermostat date and time remotely and update it . While I love my Tranquility 22, whenever there is a power outage (like once per month), the date resets to the factory date and my programming has to be re-entered. I usually discover this after i have returned home after being away for several days on business. I'd also like to check on the unit to see if there are any errors being reported.

Has anyone here used the Ecobee with the Tranquility series?