Need Help

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by Eagles33, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Eagles33

Eagles33 New Member

I am in the process of getting quotes on a new Geothermal system and I do not really understand the heatloss/gain calculations vs the system that they are recommending. I live in a 1900 sqft, 2 story home. My contractor is recommending the Climatemaster tranquility 27 series 3 ton unit with a 10kwstrip heater. I live about 20 miles north of Philadelphia( right along I95). The design heating load is 59857 and the cooling load is 31699. Does this sound right? If you need me to provide more information, I will. Like I said, I really don't understand all of this and would like to know what some more informed people thought. Just want to make sure 3 ton is ok and I don't need a 4 ton.

Thanks in advance, Matt

2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

What doesn't ring true or sensible is the near 60K load. Is yours an old farm house?
    I would first look at reducing the load.

For 1900 SF in a modern home I would expect 2 to 3 tons.
    j

3. Eagles33

Eagles33 New Member

No its a 35 year old split leval home. Maybe I am misinterpreting the data. On the sheet that I received, it shows current AC using 30940 BTU at 95 % eff, it shows my current oil furnace using 44361 at 68% eff and then under that it shows the design data with the newgeothermal loads that I previously mentioned. I am so confused. Thanks for your response

4. AMI Contracting

Now we are both confused.
    All I can guess is they might be showing you the geo size to satisfy 100% of your load.
    A 5 ton geo is 5 tons cooling but only about 4 tons heating.
    You have not provided enough intel for me to determine if that is the case. You would have to post the document.

All that said if your actual usage was about 44K, a 3 ton sounds like a good fit.
    With geo we don 't want to satisfy 100% of your heat loss with the heat pump, just alot of it. The 4th ton might cost you an extra 2 grand while saving you only 50 bucks on auxiliary coil use.
    j

5. Eagles33

Eagles33 New Member

Here is what I received. I am probably not reading this form correctly, thus why I am double checking with professionals.

6. AMI Contracting

These are operating cost calculators. Heat loss is a number that is plugged in here. How they arrived at it can-not be gleened from these pages.

That said, it does show the 3 ton covering 97% of your heating requirements meaning auxiliary rarely participates. Looks like a good fit for you based on this load calc.
    j

7. Eagles33

Eagles33 New Member

Thanks for helping me out. I appreciate it.