Need help with proper sizing of heat pump

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by jtp, Mar 26, 2014.

1. jtp

jtp New Member

Hi, I’m kind of new to geothermal and am building a 3800 square foot home in CT (living space) not including garage or basement. Calculations come out to 74302 heating load and cooling load is 38140. I have been quoted by two different companies. One states that a 5 ton unit is more than enough and the other is telling me that I need 6 tons and that a 5 ton will not be able to heat the house efficiently. I really want to get the sizing right after researching issues on systems that are too small or too large. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Both are similar in price at approx 47K. Thanks for the help.

2. trade guy

trade guy New Member

Have you seen the actual load calculations from each of the two companies you are dealing with? Also, what type (brand not required) of equipment are they proposing? Meaning one stage, two stage, etc. Is this going to be multi-story house? My advice, try another 3rd contractor with a minimum of five years experience in geothermal work in the area of where the new house is to be.

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

First try to bring the load down further.
    Without running the numbers I suspect the 5 is fine.

4. jtp

jtp New Member

Other company load calcs were lower with heat around 68k and cooling at 33k. Both are single pump systems in basement. hydron module 5 ton hxt or 6 ton comfort aire. I believe hydron would be the better unit and am not really familiar with comfort aire. The house is a colonial 2 stories plus basement, good amount of windows (marvin) Thanks.

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hard to imagine that a 2 story new built code minimum house with 3800 sqf (over 2 floors) in CT needs more than 60,000 BTUs.....All things being equal I would prefer the Hydron, having put in many Comfort air and Climatemasters, but installer/designer skills are first priority.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

HYDRON MODULE assuming contractor is good and knows what they are doing!

7. trade guy

trade guy New Member

8. trade guy

trade guy New Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with the other members posts that the 5 ton should be right and the Hydron is the better choice.

9. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

As I said, try to bring the load down, it's quite possible with a little improvement to the structure you could make a 4 ton work.

10. kimko

kimko New Member

Big house, you must be a breeder. :D
    The fan performance and a good duct design is just as important in a large house, most good HP's are 2 stg now so capacity is a more flexable issue now.