Need help with consistent temp setting

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by boomerangboom, Jun 22, 2018.

1. boomerangboom

boomerangboom New Member

Hello. We purchased a house with geothermal already installed and I have a couple of questions. First let me tell you our set up. We have two units, downstairs (5 ton)/upstairs (4 ton). The downstairs has a dehumidifier hooked up to it. I had been turning it way up during the day (78°) and down at night (74°). I just learned that you shouldn't do that with geothermal so now I'm trying to "set it, forget it". Tough to break old habits.

So my questions are:
    We live on the east coast. If I keep it at 74° the whole day it gets freezing in here but keeps the humidity levels upstairs manageable. The downstairs has very dry air but the upstairs does not. Is 74° to cold to keep it when the temps are 95° outside energy cost wise? The hvac guy told me with geothermal it didn't matter cost wise if you had it on 85° or 60°. To run it what you wanted. Is this true? Thank you for your time!

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Of course it matters. The colder you run it the more energy you need. Geo might be the cheapest way to heat or cool your house, but it is not free.

3. nc73

nc73 Member

Holy crap that's some funny stuff. I hope you asked him what he was smoking.