Need Advice on new GeoThermo System

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Alex, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

Hello.

I am building a new house. It is a ranch, about 2300 sqft on the main floor, and about 2000 sqft in basement (1600 sqft finished).
    I have been looking at the GeoThermo technology for a while now. I have no clue if i should install that in the house or not ? This is what I want to do:

HEATING:
    heat the house but also use heat an heated floor in the basement.

COOLING: where i live, i need AC so is GeoThermo efficient at cooling ?

I have a lake, should i go for a pump in the lake, use closed loop ?

Can i use (and should i use) Geothermo to heath the waterheater as well ? if i do so then should i not even bother with bringing a gas line in the house?

Is there a "generic" cost for the installation, say something like $80 per square foot or does it depend on my situation ?

What kind of heat does Geothermo provide: i used to have a gas furnance and now i have an eletric. I do not like electric furnace since compare to gaz it feels like the air is always colder. We keep the house around 72-74 in the winter and around 70 in the summer. So how does the Geothermo heat compares to gaz and electric ?

the more i research the topic, the more i know but i can't make a decision.

Thanks for the advice

Alex

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

You can get what you want

using geo. Your milage may vary.

How big is the pond?

3. geo fan

geo fan Member Forum Leader

The cost is very area specific but does cost significantly for than a traditional system
    Geo is the Most eff cooling available
    Air temps range from 20-30 degree rise
    If the duct work is done properly you shouldn't feel anything with out walking up to the vents , If you are forcing the air out very fast ( poor duct design ) it will feel cool , if not it will feel warm
    domestic water heating is great but rarely can provide 100% so it is usualy used to pre warm water going into some other form of water heater
    (usualy electric )
    How does it compare if done right it blows anyother system out of the water for comfort and maint and of course eff

4. Alex

Alex New Member

Thanks for the info

Mark the pond is more off a lake. It is about 3 acres and shaped like a half-moon. There will be about 25 to 30 between the lake and the back of the house.

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

20 or 30 What?

We where about 150 feet from the pond on this job. Ran larger pipe to and from the loop field.

This is a radiant floor with chilled water forced air cooling.

6. Lake Energy may be your best option

We design and install lake geothermal systems. Due to reduced excavation costs and better / more predicatble thermal conductivity, it is the best way to go when you have an available water resource.

You can check out our website at www.LakeEnergySystems.com for more info.