Pennsylvania Monitoring systems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kenstone, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

Hi everyone, I just had my geothermal install completed and came to the realization that I want to know my entering and exiting water temps without having to stick thermometer's in every time i wish to know. One detail I definitely overlooked when deciding the brand I went with.

Which leads me to my question for the pros on here. I have read some older forums about the WEL and Ground energy support. Are there any newer options? More specifically I am looking for something that will allow me to have a physical inactive thermostat hooked up to monitor temps?

Would it be possible to hook up the Climate Master or Waterfurnace monitor and only hook up the water thermostats to the system?

I would just rather the capability of looking at a wall mounted screen versus having to log into a website.

I have a 3 ton unit and a 2 ton split unit with DSH.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!

2. SShaw

SShaw New Member

Waterfurnace will only give the customer access to the entering water temp. Access is via the cloud with an app or web browser, not from the TSAT. You could rig up something like a Davis "Soil Moisture/Temperature Station Product, number:6345CS" with wired temperature probes to monitor up to four temperatures. Monnit also sells monitoring sensors, including sensors for HVAC, but access is web based unless you write your own software, and the sensors are several hundred dollars. A techie could quickly build something with a couple temperature probes, an Arduino, and an LCD display for under $100.

3. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

It seems everyone makes these systems to be wifi access only. My friend has a Climatemaster and his thermostat shows him entering and exiting temps, I might have to get a closer look at that. If you know any good techie's let me know! Thanks for the reply.

4. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

After doing some digging it looks like Waterfurnace's Performance Monitoring Kit 5SPKL unit sizes 030–072 would work it would just be a matter of tinkering with it a little bit. Only downfall is you have to know an installer that can order you one...luckily I know someone. This is only if all you want to monitor is water temps and pressure.

5. SShaw

SShaw New Member

I have a Waterfurnace 7 series with the performance monitoring kit. The kit requires the Aurora Expansion Board (AXB) to operate and the AXB uses MODBUS protocol to communicate. The kit is not something you can attach to anything and I don't see how it's easily tinkered with, especially with no documentation. Also, WF does not expose the LWT and other measurements to the end user. An installer's AID tool is required to see these parameters. What are you seeing that indicates you can see the data you want? How would you view the data?

6. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

Are you looking to see what the water temps are at the moment you look at the device, historical (logging) data, or the delta? I think it’s important to decide this because that will point you towards the right type of setup. I do have a WEL. Here’s what my entering and leaving water temps look like over 24 hours with (I think) a 1 minute sample rate: upload_2019-11-7_6-21-19.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

My friend was pretty confident that he would be able to "tinker" with the kit and make it work; however, he is now singing a different tune. He said it would end up being a lot of expensive work. I think at this point I will more than likely go with the WEL system.

8. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

Yes I'm wanting to see the water temps at the moment I look at the device but over a 24 hour period would be just as good. How hard was it to install the WEL? are there permanent thermostats that you insert into the monitor ports?

9. SShaw

SShaw New Member

Makes sense. Do you have a Waterfurnace heat pump or another brand?

10. Kenstone

Kenstone New Member

I have the Carrier Infinity series, first floor 3 ton and 2nd floor split 2 ton unit.

11. SShaw

SShaw New Member

Ok. I think it would be difficult to impossible to retrofit the WF kit onto a Carrier unit. You could use something like the Monnit "ALTA INDUSTRIAL WIRELESS QUAD TEMPERATURE SENSOR" to measure water and air temps. WEL might be the best bet. From the WEL website, it looks like the firmware hasn't been updated in a few years though.

12. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

You do not use the P/T ports for monitoring the temps. Sensors are secured to the loop pipes entering and leaving your heat pump.

Installing the WEL for me was a little difficult only because I have a split system with air handler in the attic, heat pump in the basement. I also had to get a cat 5 cable to the WEL box. Other than that, if you're comfortable with low voltage wiring and a little computer tinkering, you should be able to handle it. What I like about it is that I got to choose what I wanted to monitor, and it's very flexible. Think about what you really want to accomplish. If you only want water temps once in a while, use a meat thermometer with a thin point. If you want more than that, and I did, get yourself set up with a monitoring system. WEL was my choice because I can monitor temps, heat pump staging and electric consumption.