Ohio Maximum Loop usage?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kinglerch, Aug 19, 2016.

1. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

I have a Climatemaster TT30 and vertical loop field with flow center. It has been working normally for a year or two, until one time I was using the A/C more than usual when the flow center turned off and for a few hours the TT30 would be "running" but no water was flowing, no cooling of the air, just the fan.

I figured something was wrong, so I reset the system, turned the A/C on, and still no water flow and no cooling so I just turned it off. After some more hours, I turned on the A/C and it is working fine, the water is flowing and plenty of cooling.

Is there some maximum loop usage that the TT30 keeps track of and will not continue to use the loop field, or what could be going on? The water in wasn't particularly warm, like mid 70s.

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

It appears your unit locked out on a fault safety. Compressor and pump will shutoff and the fan will continue to blow.

There is no sense in speculating why until the fault code is retrieved from the control board to at least give a hint of what is going on. Your unit most probably has the CXM board. Fault codes are retrieved by shorting the test pins on the CXM board and counting the flash code. CAUTION this is done with the cover off and power on. Death or injury may occur if done incorrectly. If you are not qualified call a technician. Then lookup code in documentation or on wiring diagram inside of service panel.

3. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

Does the fault have to be occurring at the time to get the fault code, or does it store the most recent fault(s)?

4. geoxne

The CXM board will store the last fault in memory unless power was disconnected to the board. This is called a hard reset.

It should still be there if you performed a soft reset which is the removal of "Y" compressor call from the thermostat. A soft reset is most easily accomplished by turning system to off at the thermostat.

5. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

The CXM board has the AN1 light (which I think is what you are refering to) and it is blinking fast. I shorted the test pins briefly and the code was 6. I think you fixed it! It was a "Condensate Overflow" and I blew into the condensate line and a ton of water poured out. Now the only question is how did it get that way, is there some way to prevent it, something I am supposed to clean, etc?

6. geoxne

No. I think you fixed it!

All kinds of stuff can grow in water and can end up the consistency of snot, clogging the condensate trap. A cleaning, flushing and a jigger of bleach in the outlet hole of the drip pan once or twice a year will help.

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

If folks could see what is in their air they would stop breathing. If you add water the stuff gets together and grows.

They make treatment tabs that kill the growy stuff.

You can up grade your filter

8. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

Your comment makes me realize that I don't really understand how the condensate works. While I can see and filter and add treatment to the tube outside the unit, the condensate was actually "stuck" inside the unit and all I could see is a hole that I can shove a cleaning brush into. Is there a filter I can access inside the unit, or a place to add treatment there?

9. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

The evaporator coil is the coldest spot in the house so the moisture in the air collects there and drips into the drain pan and then down the drain through the trap. If it is not plugged with goo.

Find the trap and clean it. It will be between the coil drain pan and the rest of the world. Most units are trapped below the drain pan, but inside the unit.

There is no filter in the drain piping. The filter I was talking about is the air filter that keeps the evaporator coil clean.

Treatment tabs go in the drain pan. Follow the directions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

Ah, now I see. I thought their maintenance instructions was the exterior tubing, trap, etc. I now found the interior pan and tubing and see how it is full of algae. I dumped a bunch of bleach in it for now and will get some algaecide tablets. Thanks again!

11. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

I have an ecobee sysyem attached to my climatemaster, and it is a really great system with wifi etc, but the only way I knew something was wrong was when the house seemed a little hot, and the only way to find out what was wrong was to open the geo up, short 2 inconveniently located pins, and count blinks.

Is there a more foolproof way to know a fault is occuring and troubleshoot it? I could wire a test switch and fault led to the front panel, but there must be a better way...

12. geoxne

Does your Ecobee have an "L" terminal? If so connect to "AL1" on the CXM board.

13. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

Unfortunately no, seems like a downside to the Ecobee. Is there something I can get just for alarm purposes that can use the L terminal?

14. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

"a jigger of bleach"

DON'T do that!

Chlorine is deadly to the metals in an air coil.

Consider that swimming pool water heaters use titanium heat exchangers because of corrosive effect of chlorine, and that pool water ideally contains 1 PPM (that's part per million) chlorine.

Bleach, on the other hand, contains 80,000 PPM chlorine, and I guarantee that your air handler coil is NOT made of titanium!

Therefore bleach in condensate drain lines is a very bad idea.

15. JP-RIC

JP-RIC New Member

My Suggestion, Bleach and water mix, in long spout watering can, poured directly in the drain opening if you want to use bleach. Don't fill pan just pour down pipe.
    Keep the bleach off the coil for the reasons mentioned. Or better yet, use the tablets.