marking loop

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by jimmyjon, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jimmyjon

jimmyjon New Member

Is any one aware of a way to mark an installed loop with gps on a smartphone? That way I know exactly where it is for future reference.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You do not get the accuracy from gps one would typically require for locates. Photos would likely serve more of a use, if your fixed on using a smartphone.

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

You can get coordinants for anything.

4. jimmyjon

jimmyjon New Member

I guess I could just bust out the hundred feet tape and measure of the road and the house but gps sounded really convenient.

5. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We have commercial projects surveyed, by pro's. For residential we install tracer wire like the gas company, and encourage homeowners to " triangulate the bores with something that prolly will not move, like property corner markers, corners of garage, ect.
    Eric

6. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

the gps on phones is not very accurate. Like the others, I would measure from something stable

7. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We also run tracer wires with a lot of our loops when they are installed in high traffic areas, or where future digging could ever be needed for something.
    Photos are the very helpful too.
    But the good ol fashion tape measure is still the undisputed king.

8. thermalbob

thermalbob New Member

Ditto all that was mentioned above. If coordinates are needed, I have used taped measurements from building corner and estimated coordinates of building corner from GIS aerial photos. Still not as accurate as a survey. I have occasionally use a range finder like (http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=78521); measuring is easier but there is a cost.