Manual J - Number of bores and \"Expected\" EWT

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JRBGEO, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

Open-loop systems have NO depth requirement -- the only things that matter
    are 1) sufficient capacity and 2) water quality. How deep you might have to
    drill depends entirely on your local hydrology.

The deeper you have to go, the more it'll cost to pump it to the surface.

Looby

2. sunnyflies

sunnyflies Member Forum Leader

Thanks, I hoped as much. If we went down 600' here on Long Island we would hit salt water. I've been told by one well digger that I would only need short wells to get 15 gpm. We have loam over sandy soil interspersed with layers of clay going down to 180' for our drinking water well which is pretty deep for around here.

But, I am thinking seriously now that I should have a closed loop system as our water quality is not at all good. I don't want my system to get all clogged up with iron and minerals. I have to use a complicated Culligan system to clear our house water.

3. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You can take the guesswork away by having water tested and compare with specs for open loop systems' heat exchangers. Waterfurnace spec doc available at their website contains a table of water quality limits for regular and cupronickel heat exchangers.

I suspect, but don't know that if you have to go to considerable trouble and expense to treat your well water for house use, it won't be suitable for open loop.

If you are willing to commit to careful periodic maintenance - flushing heat exchanger - open loop parameters might be able to be eased a little. Pay your money and take your chances.