Loop Veries Lake

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BillyIII, Jan 13, 2009.

1. BillyIII

BillyIII New Member

I was wondering if I could use the thermals from the water at the bottom of a lake that is on my property instead of going to the expense of well drilling or burying a loop under ground. I live in central North Carolina, the lake has only frozen over one time in ten years. I would be pulling water or putting a loop in water that is 6 to 8 feet deep. Ground temp in our area at 6 feet runs approx 60 degrees year round.
    Thanks in advance,
    BT

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes

Commonly done - as stated on this forum, beavers can be a pest.

Closed loop allows antifreeze protection. Open loop on surface water will require more maintenance. Open loops may also be a permit concern in your region.

3. BillyIII

BillyIII New Member

Thanks for the info, how do I determine how much distance of pipe, and do I need to weight the pipe down

4. urthbuoy

Steps

You should (we really need to sticky something on this for the forum):

• get a heat loss/heat gain done on the building[/*:m:r0vcxbrs]
    • find an experienced geothermal designer/installer[/*:m:r0vcxbrs]
    If you are looking at a DIY job, then you can get feedback from those of here. I would recommend you still pay someone to design a system for you and take over things from there. The loop design is dependent on your individual design requirements and there isn't an "off the shelf" answer.

I'm not purposefully avoiding answering your question, it is just a complicated enough design problem I can't do it justice here.

5. urthbuoy

Weighted Pipe

Forgot about your second question.

Yes, even full HDPE generally floats, so you'll need to figure out a way to keep it submerged.

6. BillyIII

BillyIII New Member

Weighed

Thanks for your help, the first Geo thermal unit I had was a Carrier unit installed in 1985, pulling water out of a well, and emptying into a field. Sold the house in 1998, and the unit is still running. Second house I built was in 1998 with a Florida Geothermal unit not sure of the model number since I am at work can't remember. I am also pulling water out of our well and emptying into our Lake. It has given me trouble for the last five years, because of refrigerant leaks on the coil. I am considering replacing it and at the same time changing the thermal source to become more efficient. Thanks for your help

7. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

efficency

Hi BillyIII,

If you are happy with the performance of your exchange medium but unhappy with your fhp, why reinvent the wheel? I would never take a chance on a pond loop constructed out of geo pipe. Beavers are not the only pests. You also have nuetria, musk rats, turtles, ect. One bite and you have got big problems.

Are you cooling dominant or heating dominant? I think that the ground water is going to give you a more stable temprature to exchange with than the lake.
    Just my .02
    Eric:)

8. Where are you located at I may be able to help or at least send you to someone who could

Ryan

9. BillyIII

BillyIII New Member

Weighted

Greensboro, NC

10. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Weighted

We used pex-al-pex grouped in a sets of 280' slinkies. We bound them together with big wire ties and copper wire. They were sunk with chunks of concrete side walk wired to the tubing until all the tubing was submerged.

Works very well here in Ohio. We get good EWTs even with the surface of the pond frozen.

11. Lake / Pond Geothermal Energy

My company specializes in the design and installation of lake-loop geothermal energy systems. North Carolina is an ideal location. I actually doesn't matter if the lake freezez or not if it is greater than eight feet deep. Water is most dense at 39.2 degrees F, so the lake bottom will never fall below this temperature even in northern climates.

Please visit our website at www.LakeEnergySystems.com or email me at "paul@LakeEnergySystems.com"