Loop penetration into house height question

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Mike B, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I currently have my closed loop coming into the house about 4-6ft below ground. I cant keep them from leaking and was wondering if I move them to a different location and bringing them back into the house around 2 ft below the surface. The distance of pipe at that height should be less than 24 inches. Will this have any affect on the cool or heating since it will be higher than the current configuration? Or will the water be moving to much to make a difference?
    Thanks,

2. wing

wing New Member

the leaking is where ? around the penetration where the closed loop enters the foundation ? what is the size of the loop pipe ? size of the foundation penetration ?

3. Mike B

Mike B New Member

The pipe I believe is 2 inch and the penetration isn’t much bigger than the pipe. Maybe 2.5” - 3” I’m guessing on the penetration. Thanks

4. wing

wing New Member

not enough room for a seal link kit.

i would try to repair the gap before moving the wall penetration. The preferred method is to inject the gap around the pipe with high-viscosity polyurethane. if you do move the wall penetration, core drill a 4 inch hole and use a seal link kit to plug the gap.

5. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I have tried all kinds of things to stop the leaking. Can you suggest a good product? I don’t want to move them just tired of them leaking. Thanks

6. gsmith22

gsmith22 New Member

you could always dig down and place a bunch of bentonite clay at the outside face of the wall around the penetration. it works great to seal wells so I can't imagine it wouldn't work here too.

7. wing

wing New Member

8. mtrentw

mtrentw Active Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Foundation leaks are difficult if not impossible to repair from interior. Lots of options if you expose the pipe on the exterior.