loop design software

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Calladrilling, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am currently on a trial of Looplink, and i must say " IM VERY IMPRESSED". But i was going to play around with some of the double looped bores, and the new Twister to see what the software comes up with. Im not sure if its just the trial holding me back or not, but i can not do the multilooped bores. Does anybody have a program to size them?

Maybe Eric? I noticed you guys are looplink certified?

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I use GLD 2012 that can do 2x looped boreholes.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Loop link does not allow you to input multiple loops, twistys, or " other shenanigans " as far as I know.
    Eric

4. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What is the equivelant to a Bosch sm036?

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

....like pond loops

6. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am pretty sure that is not covered either...... in the software. I however fully support the implamentation of all relavant " shenanigans ". you should have seen the look on a local town officials face at a meeting recently when I said " You should consider yourself lucky I do not live here, or I would fill the lagoon up with slim jims to heat and cool every house on this block". I am sure they are busy now as I type this trying to stop something they do not understand...... Typical IMHO
    Eric

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Eric:

That is tooooo funny.

When I can not do this any longer, I am either going to teach it or run for public office.

ROFLMAO

Mark

8. Kogashuko

Kogashuko Member

I used Gaia Geothermal last night and it seemed like nice software anyone else look at this?

It said for a 45000 btu load 2/3in pipe at 5' with turbulent
    flow, if I choose a straight run instead of slinky, I only need 3 trenches of 600 feet of pipe. Should I be a little suspect?

It also said I could do the same thing with 7 300' loops. Should I be suspect? 300' loops would be great but I dont know how practical.

9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Gaia = GLD software.

2/3" pipe - that isn't even an option, so I'm suspect.

Also, with this software it is very important to know your annual run time %'s. Accurate peak loads is only half the battle.

10. Kogashuko

Kogashuko Member

Sorry 3/4 in pipe... my bad.

11. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

How many GPMs, what size of heatpump?

12. Kogashuko

Kogashuko Member

Was 5ton with 12gpm if I remember correctly. The unit size and gpm didnt seem to change it as much as load and that makes sense.

13. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Well, a 4ton pump would nominally need 12 gpm, and 9 gpm at a minimum. So lets say a Waterfurnace 4 ton would have 9 ft of head at 12 gpm.
    Lets assume you have 2 ft of heatpump connection at 1" and 2 elbows, Then you have 30ft each way of inside piping with a total of 6 elbows each way.
    Outside you have 50 ft each way of 1.25", and then 5 coils at 600' each. A single 26-99 pump would do 11.5 gpm with 20% methanol. Reynolds number is around 2400. All would look good. Now going with Glycol (30%) drops it down to 1050 Reynolds! Where are you located and do you need antifreeze? Is 3000ft enough to support your load?