Loop balancing

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Danny313, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Danny313

Danny313 Member

Plan to install multiple slinky loops of various lengths to conform to an "outside the rulebook" application. There will probably be 3 different loop lengths.
    How to deal with this at the header?
    I'm aware of the need to balance.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I have been loosely following your planned install. In your case I would run all loop tails into the house and use valves to balance. In other words the header is in the house not outside.
    Eric

Danny313 likes this.
  3. Danny313

Danny313 Member

So I'm getting that valves can be used to balance a variety of loop lengths coming in, PRIOR to connection with header? Thanks for that!

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Bingo! Valves and flow meters connected to a non pressurized flow center is a diy dream come true and virtually diy proof.
    Eric

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Or you could just let the flow take its path. Keep in mind that even if the flow doubles, the pressure drop will quadruple. Meaning that a shorter length will mean lesser pressure drop, but as soon as that loop sees more flow the pressure drop will go up in that loop keeping the increase at flow at bay.

So if one circuit has twice the length of the other circuit (100% more), flow in the shorter circuit will only increase by 41 %.