Living and Learning with Geo

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Testimonials' started by ChrisJ, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

Looking at the Hydron Module combination unit. It has connection locations for Source and Load that are much closer to where the HT unit connections are.

Dealer locator not working on website.

If funds were not a problem I would love a WF series 7 and a separate water to water for the radiant.

I must say the existing unit works good when charged up. The main floor is heated with air and can satisfy the tstat with 1st stage (small compressor about 1.5 to 1.75 tons) even when it is single digit temps outside. When the basement radiant calls the buffer tank temp drops fast kicking the unit to 3rd stage (which is both compressors running 4 tons total) the air continues to run at 1st stage CFM (800). What's interesting is the LAT stays around 87*F, which is also the same as the supply water temp leaving the buffer tank.

ChrisJ

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Chris:

If the Boss wins, call me. I would love to take your issue to water proof, (better living through chemistry) system. I think we can take the duct work and Hydron unit to chilled water.

Got the number?

Mark

3. ChrisJ

Water is not my friend, it's chemistry has ruined another radiant heat exchanger. It has been bypassed like the DHW one.

The HT unit that used to do everything is now a water to air unit. I have abandoned the radiant floors in the basement and garage.

No matter how many times I flushed the system after a few days the PH of the water in the radiant system returned to about 9. All I can think of is that the 410A in the water was making it turn Alkaline.

I circulated the Fernox cleaner twice. Flushed it well afterward always with water that was 6.8- 7 PH.

I will make a few registers in the basement for a little air heat and blow all the water out of the floors so they don't freeze.

Very tough lesson learned.

ChrisJ

4. ChrisJ

Guess what? Yup air coil is leaking!!

Knocks on wood.... At least I have a good ground loop.

CJ

5. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

So sorry to hear this.

Time for a new unit? Or are you going another direction?

6. ChrisJ

Yes a new unit will have to go in. Had hoped to get through this winter.

CJ

7. ChrisJ

The new water to air unit was delivered yesterday. We made it through the winter, the refrigerant had to be topped up a few times.

The Hydro-Temp unit was too good to be true, did it all. If they had better warranty and support, I think it would not be getting replaced.

So the 3 ton water to air (Heat Controller AKA Climatemaster AKA Comfort Aire) will heat the house , less the garage.

The radiant in the Garage will be hooked up to a DIY solar thermal system I am building.

CJ

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. ChrisJ

New 3 ton Comfort Aire unit installed on July 30th. I am using a climatemaster communicating tstat. It's nice that I can see the EWT and LWT, LAT, I was used to seeing those temps on the old unit.

This hopefully put's an end to the 3 yr nightmare.

When I started this thread I was naive. I thought "Why wouldn't everyone want a unit like this that can do everything?" Reading about desuperheaters only making warm water when the unit runs, again made me think "well mine runs on-demand for hot water".

Other hybrid units had to stop and switch modes when mine could make air and water at the same time. Sounds perfect right? I learned there are compromises to having those options.

Going forward I will create a new thread and put this one to bed!

ChrisJ

9. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I could not agree more. Water-Water is running fine, Water-Air is running fine. But sometimes an engineer comes in and thinks that he is inventing the wheel by combining both and cramming it all into one cabinet. Then it makes it in a shiny brochure, and customers think you are an idiot because you are trying to talk them out of it. Then a competitor, new to geo, comes in and says "no problem", we can just put in one of those combo units.
    Then, after the units go bad, competitor goes out of business because he either is loosing his reputation, or is spending too much time and effort trying to fix the issues without understanding what the issues are.
    Then the customers call you again, asking for help, and get really upset when you tell them that the only way to address the nightmare is to take all the bad stuff out and put all the good stuff in. Then they really get upset when they feel like you are pulling them over the table and have the perception that you only trying to take advantage of them while they are in that misery.
    Either they learned their lesson and put a stop to it, or they shop around until they find someone who tells them what they want to hear. "I can fix this for very little, I have tools, I know what to do." Then the real nightmare starts.
    Chris, congrats on coming here to learn and doing what is likely the right choice. To cut your losses and doing it right, instead of continuing the saga.