Lake loops

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by meyricl, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

TY Zack

I am going to bed.

Engineer will be doing his math. It will be close as he adds latent heat.

LOL

2. All Energy Systems

All Energy Systems New Member

anyone ever use these ?

AWEB Supply

We have never done a lake system

3. Mark Custis

I have seen them

but never used them.

What is wrong with building a radiant floor on the bottom of a pond?

I am sure it would cost less than plate collectors.

4. All Energy Systems

All Energy Systems New Member

then you could always heat it in the winter

5. Mark Custis

true

go see the rehau site. they looked worried when I told them what I had done.

6. areyourucky

areyourucky New Member

lake loops/ not good in texas,too hot

In texas here, it gets so hot, the lake water does too. We do not do lake loops because, why go thur the trouble for geothermal system thats doesnt work. The olny lake loops i seem work here were in places where the lakes were a massive depht of 60ft with fresh springs feeding it, keeping it cool.

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

"Can you elaborate on this point?
    "I'm not at all sure typical pond loop design contemplates the loop tubes freezing much of the pond right near them."

Nope - not really, because I truly have no idea what happens if pond loop lines are completely iced in. Conductivity of ice may be enough to keep things going along, heating your house while freezing much of the rest of the pond further away from the pipes, or it might not. Others might know.

I knowingly did my math based on an almost-certainly flawed perception of shape / volume of Zach's pond based on the dimensions he gave of the deep part - it was intended as an illustrative calculation rather than an actual design...that and it was easier.

My suspicion is that it takes a fairly deep pond, one that both won't freeze around the loop pipes in winter or be exposed to overheating in summer for this to work. How deep? dunno - maybe 15' or so with a million gallons or so per ton.

An "Areyouruckian" pond, spring fed and 60' deep would work, probably quite well.

8. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Freezing pipe

The issue of ice formation around loop pipes is not uncommon nor is it necessarily an issue with heat transfer rates. But it is a real issue with floating pipes to the surface. That is the real issue and one that needs to be carefully avoided.

9. Does your lake water get hotter than the air? 110*+