is to much water bad?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by owltown1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. owltown1

owltown1 New Member

I am having a closed loop GEO HP installed. The first well (1 of 2), 300 feet deep went great, except we hit a 50 GAL PER water flow. is this a problem or is it good?

2. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

That's a bit confusing - you are installing closed loop geo (whose loop(s), if vertical, are placed in "bores" (not wells))

The you write about a 50 GPM well...did the drillers hit an aquifer resulting in that flow to the surface?

If the water quality is good, there is an alternate loop design (open loop with reinjection) that may represent the most efficient option.

3. owltown1

owltown1 New Member

That's a bit confusing - you are installing closed loop geo (whose loop(s), if vertical, are placed in "bores" (not wells))

First, i am a homeowner not an installer, sorrry if i cut too many corners in my question, i will try to be more specific.
    the goe guy doing the drilling is a well driller turned geo.
    Vertical bores, 300 feet. Hit 50 gal/min of flowing water at 270 ft.

The you write about a 50 GPM well...did the drillers hit an aquifer resulting in that flow to the surface? YES

If the water quality is good, there is an alternate loop design (open loop with reinjection) that may represent the most efficient option.

Water is execlent... Georgia does not allow pump and dump (if that is what you are refering to)

4. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What does the the driller suggest doing with the water?

5. owltown1

owltown1 New Member

he plans to put the loop into the boar hole and fill with sand, he has two 300 ft holes to mqake his closed loop . He tells me hte water in the boar will increase the efficency of the heat exchange. P.S. he also is putting a small amount of pea gravel down the boar first before the sand.

6. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

where will the 50 gpm be going?

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

If it flows 50, no need to pump, just dump (or reinject into another well)

8. owltown1

owltown1 New Member

can't dump

Ga does not allow pump and dump. water stays in the ground and my pipes are in the hole with it and the sand