New York Is this quote reasonable? $38k for 3ton WF

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by Douglas Nathe, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Douglas Nathe

Douglas Nathe New Member

Hi everyone.
    I just received my first quote for a new system and I feel it is a bit higher that it should be.

Installer quoted:
    $38,400(Before rebates)
    System is a 3Ton 5 Series Water Furnace
    10kw Aux heat
    Communicating Stat
    1 Vertical 450ft well.

My first question is why they quoted a vertical system. Our lot is 2 acres in a rural area, plenty of room for a horizontal system. Would it not be cheaper to use a horizontal system?

House details:
    Upstate NY
    2000sqft Colonial home.
    26 years old
    Has a forced air LPG furnace
    Unfinished/unheated basement.

Thanks for your inputs.

2. flywilson02

flywilson02 New Member

I recently committed to a quote for a 4 ton 7 series WaterFurnace, with an intellizone 3 zone system, 2 300 foot vertical wells, and some additional duct work to add 2 additional vents in a garage conversion for $37,500. I'm in Tennessee so I'm sure its not an apples to apples comparison.

3. Douglas Nathe

Douglas Nathe New Member

Thanks flywilson02. Your reference puts this in pretty good perspective. They also quoted me an extra $3500 for the Intellizone system and $2000 more to go to a 7 series. To make my quote more similar to yours it would be $43,900 and your install was still bigger project than my estimate.

I got a quick quote from another installer and they provided a rough estimate of $20k.

4. moey

moey Member

Call other installers and have one give you a quote for a horizontal system. My experience was it was much cheaper. Others on here have said the same. Some installers dont do them or claim they wont work in your climate they do though. Its colder where I live in Maine and it works excellent. The estimate sounds a little high to me but not completely unreasonable.

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Where are you located in NYS?

Check out https://www.groundupgeo.org if you are in Western New York.

Go with the 7 series, it is well worth it.

Usually horizontal systems are cheaper, but it depends on your ground conditions.