Illinois Interested in geothermal system

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smokingthemidwest, Jan 19, 2015.

1. smokingthemidwest

smokingthemidwest New Member

Hello everybody, just bought a new to us house out in the country. It sits on 1 acre and is about 2500 sq foot ranch style house. I was wondering if anybody in the northwestern portion on Illinois might be able to share information on their system? Like who installed it, approx. cost and if you really like it or not. Right now we have a propane furnace and no central air unit. Just looking for any information that you got. Thank you in advance.

2. cmonkey

cmonkey New Member

How close to the Quad Cities are you? I responded in the other thread, but we had Doug's Heating and AC of the Quad Cities do ours, and I couldn't recommend them higher...very great company. Cost was 23K for a 1200 foot horizontal bore, 3 ton system plus all new ducting and electrical. They got everything done in 5 days, start to finish no lag time in between.

It might be my age (late 20's) but none of the other companies returned any quotes, despite coming out and looking around. Probably didn't think I was serious. Might be different for you, I would say just give several companies a call.

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

You are probably in the 4 ton range. Purchase price for closed loop ~$25,000 +/- $5,000 (ish). Operating cost for all heating cooling and hot water $1,500/year =/+-$500 (ish).
    When shopping pay particular attention tho the company you buy from and much less to the brand they carry.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. smokingthemidwest

Hello thanks for responding to my post. I live about an hour northeast of the quad cities. How big of a lot do they need to install a horizontal bore system? We have about 200 by 200 foot lot but the house sits only 30' from the back lot line. Do you know approx. the cost of the system without the duct work?

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

What else will be on your lot (i.e. well- septic). I don't know what a system costs where you are at. Costs vary based on local impactors (insurance, property taxes etc.) and whether your loops are horizontal or vertical and other things as well 20 to 30K is about as close as someone can narrow it down remotely.

6. smokingthemidwest

Hello everybody. Sorry been busy. CMonkey I did talk to Chris at Doug's and he seems to know what's going on. Waiting for him to get back to me. If u don't mind me asking who else did u contact? I seem to have a hard time with people getting back to me. Thanks in advance

7. cmonkey

cmonkey New Member

Ducting in our area might be 700-800 for 100 linear feet, so its not a huge part of the cost in comparison to the rest of it. If your ducting is anything less than optimal, I would recommend having the installer redo it, particularly if you don't have returns. It made a huge difference for us. Without ducting, cost would still be 20K +. Even more if you go with vertical wells. Also, sub optimal ducting will ultimately cost you more since the pump will run longer and might even kick aux on if it can't keep up.

As AMI said, if you have a well or a septic system that will affect where it can be put. I think they can be pretty flexible in terms of how many lines, but you need a certain amount of underground line for the geo to function correctly. Our 3 ton system has 1200 feet of line (4 lines/2 bores with 2 pipes each at 300 feet). In your situation you could do the same 1200 feet in 6 groups of 200 feet (3 bores). You also need about 30-40 square feet for the machine to maneuver and I would say at least 50 feet from where the machine sits to your house so it can run the line into the basement. If you go with a 4 ton system, you'd need more bores.

Great thing is, they use a boring machine to run horizontal line so no long trenches.

I also called Kale Heating (they sent a quote 1 month after I saw them), Hometown Heating and Crawford Company (neither of which sent a quote after coming out). Several other companies didn't do geo installs.

Doug's is excellent, but they were super busy when they did our install. Despite that, Chris was awesome. The also helped out with the rebate ( which we got like a month ago ) and also came out promptly to fix our aux when it wasn't working.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  8. smokingthemidwest

Thank you for the reply. I have Chris from Doug's coming out this week. I will let you know what I find out. I am interested to see what he has to say, I know it's a lot of money up front but I hope that it pays off in the long run. The lp man brings a big bill with him every time he stops by. Thank you guys for all your help

9. smokingthemidwest

Hello everybody, the end of this week should wrap up the install of my new geothermal system. I have a question on the hot water generator setup. My 4ton system came with the hot water generator feature. I will have to move some water lines in my house to make it work since the water heater was at the other end of the house. My question is what is the best setup for the hot water generator ? Is it better to have one tank all wired up or have two tanks, one that is not hooked up and the second one wired up? anybody have a diagram showing the most efficient setup? Thank you in advance.

10. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

Here is a diagram that has been on here before. Thanks to Bergy.

ChrisJ

Attached Files:

Mark Custis likes this.
  11. smokingthemidwest

Hello, I was just wondering where everybody got filters for the geo unit. I have a hard time finding the 30x32x2 size in any stores, i can order them online. I was wondering what everybody thought about the metal washable ones that are online. they seem to be the way to go for long term use. thank you for any help.

12. parrisjr

parrisjr Member

13. Almac

Almac New Member

14. eaerhard

eaerhard Member

In am not a fan of the metal edged, washable filters, at least not in my unit. I have one and never use it because it causes weird turbulence noises, wooshing sounds non-stop..... I cant buy the 28x28 locally so I stick with the online ordered filters and they seem to work really well.

15. Terry K

Terry K New Member

I have metal edged washable filter for our Water Furnace unit - size 29.75 x 35.75 x 1. I would like to get an extra filter. Any recommendations on where to purchase?