Insulation

Discussion in 'Radiant Heating and Cooling' started by dn3187, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dn3187

dn3187 New Member

Didn't know exactly where to post this... I am considering spray foam insulation. I can't seem to find a good reason for open or closed cell foam. My research is either all for open or all for closed cell. I live in southern Va. Anyone care to share opinion?

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Two things.

Off gassing of fire retardants.

Make sure the home can breath.

Mark

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It depends on the framing depth you have and what r-value you are hoping to achieve.

4. LongshoreGeo

LongshoreGeo New Member

We used both open cell and closed cell foam in our house. The biggest differences I understand and 1. R value and 2. moisture resistance. Closed cell is more expensive but achieves a greater R value per inch (I believe about 7 per inch) compared to about 4 per inch for closed cell. We used closed cell on 2X4 walls and open cell on 2X6 walls. We also used closed cell in all locations that may be subject to moisture (house is on the water). Closed cell will not absorb water and open cell will. We are very please with the insulation job and I would not use anything else. The house is amazingly air tight and efficient. Paired with a geosystem, it makes for great efficiency!:)

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Thanks, Longshore.

I do not spec what insulation, but sometimes how much.

I should have gotten water proof closed cell. I missed it.

I have seen combo systems filling in a thinner than full bay areas with closed cell adding ground newsprint and glue or good old fiberglass.

I am really compressed to what the product adds as far as infiltration issues. I now pay major attention to ventilating a foam house. I just saw the flame retardant off gassing issue on the HeatingHelp.com news letter and will watch for it.

Mark