I'm in Standing Column Well Hell - need help

Discussion in 'Standing Column Well (SCW)' started by geochallenged, Mar 26, 2013.

1. geobob

geobob New Member

Just joined -- this is my first post. As for your sand problem -- I've read most all the kind responses. I know next to nothing about wells but it seems you can do little to nothing short of a new well to fix the problem there. If it were my problem, I would do two things (or have them done as they are intensely plumbing related): I would install a water tank on the well output to serve as a settling tank. The idea is to reduce the water velocity which keeps the sediment in suspension. In a tank, the water slows and much (eventually all with no water use) of the sediment drops to the bottom of the tank. I would scout around for a used water heater -- only requirement is that it not leak. If you can't find a junker, check Habitat for Humanity stores if one in your area. Theirs will work but still might be less than $100. Connect it in series between the well and the gshp. Periodically use the flush outlet on the bottom to remove the sediment. If you still have a problem with fines, then I would rig two screen filters (two so you would never have un-screened water) on the water heater outlet, such that while one would be in the water path, you could divert the water in the other one in reverse, flushing the sediment into a drain without having to remove the filter. This would require a number of valves, and if shutting off your water for 10 minutes once per week or month is not an issue, then you could do it with one filter at half the cost.

2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

I like the idea Bob. Clever.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It is a good work around, however the size and shape of the tank is directly connected to the gpm it is being fed, the amount required to feed that SCW I think would make it a sizeable tank.
    Eric

4. geobob

geobob New Member

In reading many of the posts, it seems one of the main constraints she (geochallenged) has is the cost of mitigating the problem by manipulating well factors. Well professionals responded with several approaches, but messing around with a well is not cheap no matter what is being done. Sedimentation is a much lower cost alternative, especially if you can reuse a discarded water heater.

I think what you are saying Eric is that the effectiveness of the sedimentation process is related to the tank geometry and to the volume of water going through. True enough, and I would agree that bigger is probably better, and two in series would be better yet. It is also possible to fine-tune the idea by changing the positioning of the open ends of the inlet and outlet pipes inside the tank, i.e., changing their lengths. If memory serves, I believe that is possible on some heaters I've seen as the pipes were screwed into some kind of bushing. My gut feeling is that you would want the inlet to discharge near the bottom but not so close that the water would continually agitate the sediment, and you would want the discharge as close to the top as possible. Wouldn't that mean using the "cold" as inlet and the "hot" as outlet, or have I got that backwards?

I think the biggest advantage of my idea is that you could actually implement it on a trial basis using garden hoses, bringing the cost down to probably less than 200 bills. If there was noticeable improvement, one could get serious about vessel design.

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

True Dat. You must make sure you can accomodate gpm so an old water heater could fall short. I was wondering about a pool filter but I dunno the volume of junk

6. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

This is where we get back to a filter that is designed to do what the big tank can do in a much smaller footprint, but with a much larger price tag. I am sorry the OP is throwing in the towel as I think if he imported Mark, or found seasoned local talent this could be salvaged into a working for everybody scenario.
    Eric

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I fear she has thrown in the towel.

Bob: Great idea if the flow works. A giant sand trap. Welcome and keep typing.

Eric: The ports on the tank determines flow and pumping. I use the big ported Caleffi tanks for a reason. They flow what I tell them to flow. In effect they become giant hydrodic separators, and do double duty as dirt separators.

I do not think the well can do double duty for it's new owner. The last guy must not have minded the maintenance work, she does. I think correcting the near piping could improve the maintenance required to keep the home comfortable. All of the plumbing I have seen is too small, without the sand issue.

I would take all or part of this system off the well.

If there is enough dirt we could install a closed loop sub system to give relief to the domestic side of the water need. If there is not enough dirt, (area), we could do wells.

I can fix this system for less than changing out the equipment. From Cleveland, Ohio, but it is her call.

Mark

8. Rig 40

Rig 40 New Member

Not being familiar with regulations in you state but why not do a shallow injection well near the original. With the pump being set so shallow it would led me to believe that the majority of the production of the well is in the top half. Or that is some of the problem, that set that high the well is unable to produce the volume needed to accommodate the needs of the system. The single worst thing to do to a well is to pump it at capacity. As she is experiencing there is a tremendous amount of erosive forces working on the walls of the bore. Not knowing all of the well details, why not put a liner in the well with some sort of screen (read prepack for the drillers). Is there enough room to still instal the needed plumbing for the return? Probably not in a six in well but maybe if it is 8. Just some otherthoughts from the mind of another driller.

9. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

These types of sand settling tanks are available in our industry. They are called "sand traps" and are made out of water softener tanks with a different configuration of inlets and outlets.
    They are also fairly cheap too, but they do not perform as well as the Lakos automatic purge filter.