I am doing a DIY system install

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SolarPower, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

The condensate line is done. The Geo unit is sitting on anti-vibration pads.
    Yesterday I connected up my Desuperheater it worked last night and this morning I insulated the lines under the house.

I need to insulate the lines in the garage. I am done except getting the yard into shape.

The desuperheater ran last night and when I took a shower the water going into my tankless heater was 92 degrees.
    When I was done it was 65 degrees the washer was running at the same time.
    20190101_084643.jpg

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

You must be getting ready for summer time AC use with the condensate line. I still haven't hooked up the condensate pump yet.

3. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

We have strange weather it is here today it is 65 degrees and I just opened the windows. If my wife was not here I would be running the AC right now.

Plus without water in the condensate trap it will suck air in the drain. Mine is in a crawl space so that air would come from the crawl space air not ideal.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I have the condensate hole taped up for now. It has been mild, it was 61 here yesterday but rainy.

5. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

The outside temp has been mild since I connected up the hot water Desuperheater. Today I was showering and the incoming temp was 97 degrees when I was done the incoming temp was still 97 degrees.
    Nice…
    20190103_094442.jpg

6. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Your showers must be short. :)

7. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Today my water temp into my water heater was 105 and after the shower was 102. We are going to get some colder weather I will have to watch and see what the hot water temp gets to.

I am pretty pleased how much hot water it is making so far. I should see some saving from this.

My tankless water heater is supper efficient but is still should save some energy/money

8. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

This is the last stage of the Geo install. I had 10 tons of top soil delivered. It had so many rocks in it.

I went to the scarp yard and bought some steel. I broke out my welder and built a rock rake.

I used it to clean up the rocks in the top soil. I planted grass over the weekend and It rained both days.

Now it is time to wait and see if I get some grass back.
    20190506_174618.jpg

inCollage_20190507_175424072.jpg
    After and before rock rake.
    20190510_180828.jpg 20190511_084202.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  9. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Grass is starting to come up but we need rain.

I thought the house was getting hot inside it is 89 outside. The thermostat was red with a error code saying condensate full.
    That is when I thought I put soil around the foundation and over top the condensate drain.
    Sure, enough it was plugged with dirt. I unplugged it and reset the system. Back to blowing nice cold AC again.

I need to extend the pipe away from the foundation and dig a hole and put some gravel in it for the drain.

10. mtrentw

mtrentw Active Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Or just run it into a 10 foot section of perforated drain pipe. That'll give you plenty of drainage space and seepage.

11. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Thanks, that a good idea. I have to do my gutters with some drain pipe I can add one more pipe for this.

12. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

My Natural gas bill one year ago was $22.20 6/12/2017 we only use Natural gas for hot water. 10 CF Usage.

Now that Geothermal heats some of my hot water my NG bill is $16.12 5 CF Usage

It cut my Natural Gas usage in ½. I have a tankless super-efficient for hot water so the savings is not real big. $4.86

I could switch to heat pump tank but our bill is close to the meter fee. We keep the Natural Gas for emergency heat vent free logs and emergency heat for my fish tank water in my Aquaponics green house.

I built a closed loop fish tank heater using PEX and vent free natural gas hot water heater.
    It works very well but since I have solar power I just an immersion commercial stainless-steel hot water heater to heat the fish water. I keep the other heater for emergency backup heat.

We got some rain and the grass is starting to come back.
    20190614_101552.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019