I am doing a DIY system install

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SolarPower, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Just my 26-99 pump on high isolating one loop at a time. The manifold has a air eliminator built into it.

What pressure is best to run the loops at?

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I think at least 20. I'm fusing my manifold and it'll be underground, so my 2 26-99 should be able to flush it, according to climatemaster spreadsheet. After that'll i'll run just one pump.

3. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

The manifold was mounted to a main house floor support. It was transmitting the pump sound into my son’s bedroom.

I took the bolts out the house support and added 4x4 post. One main 4x4 post that is cemented in and two small ones.
    This is a free-standing support so the pump noise is transmitting into the ground. I will add some insulation later and you will probably not even hear it after that.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

No rubber mounts?

5. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I had it mounted with rubber behind it but the metal cabinet was still transmitting noise into the 2x12.

6. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

how's your ewt and lwt?

7. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

The geo package unit is not installed yet. I have a company giving me a quote today to put it in. If that is too much, I will take the old out this weekend and measure what ductwork I need and have it made.
    The company that is doing the ductwork also does HVAC work and they are going me a quote on the whole job.

But either way they will still make the duct pieces to fit it in.

I just have the manifold looped back into its self right now. I have the air purged out and it is holding good pressure.

I will have to purge the air out again but that ok. At least I know the loops are good.

8. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Gotcha. The quote will not be cheap and you'll probably end up doing it yourself. You learn more about the system this way.

9. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

You were right they wanted 3K to take out natural gas heater and put in Geo unit just connect to the duct work.
    I do everything else.

I will start taking out the natural gas heater tonight.

10. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

That's about what I was expecting. You can probably do a better job. You pay someone else and they can always take shortcuts.

11. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I took out the natural gas heater and AC coil. I had to take down a hard supply line to get it all out.

Natural gas line is capped off. I ordered some anti vibration pads.

I am just having a new plenum made and a transition to my old supply duct all insulated.

I pick it up later today. It was quoted for about $300 not to bad.
    So far I am glad I am doing his part myself.

Here is a picture of my manifold.
    20181220_215249.jpg

12. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

All those valves/manifold look expensive :) I kept mine simple

13. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

This is my tractor delivering the Geothermal unit to the crawl space.

Screenshot_20181222-191222_Gallery.jpg
    I did enlist help from my son to get this thing under the crawl space.

We used 5 3” 3’ long PVC pipe to put under it and roll it into place.

The 1” pex was rolled up and it was cold out so we let it out in the sun for a while this really helped.
    20181224_092326.jpg

It was all connected up and I tried to run it yesterday. I just would get communications error on the thermostat.

I double checked the thermostat wiring all good. I looked for loose wires and there were none. I read the whole manual and there was one board jumper out of place I turned that on and we were in business.

It ran all night heating last night and it worked great.

Being that we are in South Carolina we are now running AC EWT 50 LWT 58 nice cool air.

I still have a few things to finish up like run condensate line and re insulate a couple pieces of duct work.

Cementing the manifold in the ground worked great you can’t even hear the pump running or the rest of the unit.

I hung up all pipe with flexible hangers.

I am very happy to have it up running.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  14. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

AC this time of year? Dang. Good job.

15. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Thanks.

We will not have to run AC very long It is 55 degrees out but the sun had the house up to 78 degrees.

We will have to switch back to heat tonight. It was 29 degrees last night it had no trouble keeping it nice and warm inside.

I have a two-way com thermostat I need to read if it stores run times, I don’t know how much it ran last night you cannot even hear it running at all.

16. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

55 out and your house was at 78? That's some good insulation! My house would be 56! It's an old barn...

17. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I went under the house and did some finishing touches. Here is what’s it all looks like.

You can see the new transition to the old duct work.
    20181226_122046.jpg

20181226_122034.jpg

The New plenum.
    20181226_122209.jpg

18. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Saved yourself a few grand there. I would suggest you encapsulate your crawlspace. It's not good environment for geo. The outside of my flowcenter pumps started to rust after being in a crawlspace just a year. Geo should really be in a conditioned space for it to perform to it's full potential and helps with corrosion.

19. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I might encapsulate crawlspace over the summer. The old natural gas furnace was there 18 years and just had a little rust where they did not seal up PVC vent pipe and it dripped on it.

Other than that, it looked good.

Yes, DIY saved some money, I added all the cost up and after the tax credits the total cost to me is $5,325.76.

I will add some top soil and grass seed to this but I am pretty happy with the installed cost.

20. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Might have been that my crawlspace at my previous house had moisture issues. Pros would have been 4 times the cost. I made it a little less messy and instant compaction by going vertical. Still saved a bunch. 7k or so for me after credits.