I am doing a DIY system install

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SolarPower, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I am getting a horizonal 3 ton Climate master Tranquility 30. For loops, I am using four 600’ 3/4" ID SDR9 they come precharged with antifreeze.

I am by Greenville SC we have red clay here.

I am going to put the manifold in the crawl space.

Is it better to drill through the footer or go under it? Our footers are not real deep here.

I have a small tractor I was going to dig the trench with but I did a test dig and it took way too long.

I can use it to fill in the trench after it is dug.

My neighbor has a mini excavator I think he will rent it to me. I think it has a 2’ bucket.

The other option is I can check into a track hoe that would most likely have a 3’ bucket. I am planning two 300’ trenches 6’ deep. Horizonal 4 pipe.

Do you pressure test the pipe before you back fill the trench?

I really like the Trilogy 45 thermostat do you think they will offer one like that for the Tranquility series?

I have been reading lots of post on here some great info here.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Your choice of 3/4" SDR9 loops suggests that it will be CTS "Copper Tube Size" pex. Industry standard is IPS "Iron Pipe Size" HDPE. Although pex may be more DIY friendly, please consider the inside diameter of 3/4" CTS pex is .681" and the ID of 3/4" IPS HDPE is .840".

Your loop side head would be about 2.5 times higher with pex pipe. This difference will greatly increase the pump and power required to provide adequate flow to your HP.

3. nc73

nc73 Member

Standard is SDR11

4. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

SDR9 is HDPE pipe with a 50 year warranty I was told this would have better loop temp transfer and be simpler manifold connections.
    Thanks for the heads up on the loop side head.

I do not have my rain gutters piped away from my house. I was thinking I could pipe that side of the gutters to the trenches to help bring water into the loops.
    after I get it all installed.

Would this help?

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

SDR 9 pipe is thicker than SDR 11 pipe, and thus has lesser heat transfer properties. How far are the pipes apart in the trench? What flow center and pump are you using?

Who sold you the material? Sounds a bit like a DIY kit from the internet.

6. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Yes, this is a kit from Terra Source the I can get SDR11 pipe but the ends are fused so everything has the work out the exact length to the manifold.

The suggested loop field was 2’ trench 6’ deep 300’ two loops in the trench. One pipe each side at bottom then 2’ up run the return line.

Trenches spaced about 10’ apart. Their manifold has a 3 speed pump.
    Mn.JPG

I have not done the install yet I have put a deposit on the 3 Ton Geo unit.

7. docjenser

Make sure it is a 26-99 model # pump, and not a 26-116 pump.

8. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I will find out what model number but it comes with a Grundfos three speed pump.
    It comes with the UP2699FC

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

If you are getting the Climatemaster Tranquility 30 with the built in variable speed pump, why are you looking at paying for a separate flow center with a non-variable speed pump?

10. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I am not getting the built-in pump.

11. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

Why? It is variable speed and will match flow rate to demand rather than run a constant speed regardless of demand.

12. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

The main reason is because I have to get it installed before the end of the year for the tax credits.

I had to find a horizontal right return 3 Ton two stage energy star 2018 system that was in stock. Climate master is 8 weeks out on new systems with none in the warehouse.

I got lucky and found one where someone had ordered they exact system I needed but change their mind and decided to not install it in their crawl space.

Since I have solar that covers all my power usage, I am ok with the pump using a little more power.

13. docjenser

Last time I checked, to received a tax credit requires a professional installer. DIY installs were not considered expenditures. But that was pre 12-31-2016. Check it now to ensure you don't get bitten later.

14. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

You can DIY and get the tax credit but you cant charge labor I would not do that anyway.
    Just like the DIY solar I installed I was able to get state 25% and fed tax credit 30% same 55% Geo has right now.

My power company has a $300 rebate I cant get that because they have preferred installers you have to use.

Can anyone help me with these two questions.
    Do you pressure test the pipe before you back fill the trench?

I really like the Trilogy 45 thermostat do you think they will offer one like that for the Tranquility series? Are there after market thermostats that show iGate info and is wifi?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  15. docjenser

We don't pressure test before for logistical reasons during the loop install, but we pressure test overnight after we buried the loop field,

16. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Thanks for the reply. what pressure to you leave it at for the pressure test? I found this answer
    searching on this forum.

For system monitoring I really like GxTracker but that $120 a year is a little much.
    Is other options that don't have that yearly fee?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  17. nc73

nc73 Member

Isn't it too late if you test AFTER the loop is buried? Did you ever see any leak? I would think socket fusion is pretty reliable.

18. Stickman

Stickman Member

www.welserver.com. A little pricey up front, no annual fees, you must be ready to be hands on (or hire out the install), but VERY useful.

19. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

Thanks I will check it out.

20. SolarPower

SolarPower Member

I doing my install in the winter the dirt will be getting cold waiting to go back in the trench. I am using a small tractor to fill the trench.

How long will it take to get back to the 6’ earth temp? Will the system generate heat while that is happening?

I will have some antifreeze in the system.

I ordered this tank for my buffer tank MARATHON G0967513 it has good insulation and should last a long time.

I can got it for 924.47 shipped and the tax credit is state 25% fed 30% total 55% my cost would be $416 after tax credit. Hopefully it will last many years. If I can find plugs I may pull the heating elements out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018