Illinois HWG Pump Failure

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mike McFadin, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

I have a 10 year old Climatemaster Tranquility 27. The HWG system sprung a leak where hot water out connects to the geo system and flooded good portion of my basement before we caught it. Tech replaced rubber seals and it is now water tight but the Taco circulator pump is not moving water. Got quote to replace Taco pump today with part cost of $400+. Estimate my total cost would be well over $500 by time labor is included.

I am thinking best solution would be to disable HWG and disconnect geo from my hot water system. Average yearly cost to operate an electrichot water heater in my area is around $300 and my geo really only made HW during heating season. I have R410a based system and my loop temps never get high enough in the summer. My Hot water tanks are also 10 years old so now seems like good time to replace with more current model. Does my logic sound correct?

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I would replace the pump. It does generate hot water in the winter, it just costs some efficiency with the HP. Summer time is basically almost free. Why replace the water tanks if it ain't broke?

3. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes it does generate hot water in heating season especially when geo system runs a long time. In summer, I do not get much if any hot water from it. My loop temps stay cool so I believe compressor gas temp hardly ever reach threshold to turn HWG pump on. I have read elsewhere that this in not unusual for R410a geo systems in certain areas of the country. So if I only get hot water for 4-5 months it is not really saving me much. It would take over 5 years to payback the cost to repair from this incident. We haven't replaced the pump yet and I have already spent over $200 to close leak and replace connector seals. It happened on weekend when I had to pay time and a half rates.

I am thinking of replacing hot water tanks because every time I have had to replace one in the past I have had a tanks leak. Original installers did not put hot water tanks in a pan and I have finished room in basement right next to unfinished area where tanks are. I also want to correct that oversight.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Actually it's designed to capture the heat generated during cooling, so in the summer you should be getting plenty of hot water. Something isn't right obviously. Winter doesn't provide as much heat as summer. At least that's how it's suppose to work.

5. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

Perhaps I should get someone else with Climatemaster expertise to look at it.

6. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

Mike you are correct, I experience the same low loop temps most of the summer, so I also don't get much hot water in summer. 2 year old Climatemaster.

I am using a Geospring heat pump hot water heater as my finish tank, I picked up a scratch & dent 40 gal electric tank for a storage tank.

7. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

All this makes me wonder how much HWG system is actually providing versus the cost of repairing this issue. I really have no idea how long the HWG pump has actually been out. My utility company provides online access and comparison of our electric usage data and over the past several years I can see no significant spikes in electric usage to mark whenever the pump went out and we went to only my powered tank heating the water. That leads me to think that any savings from HWG aren't very significant in overall scheme of things. I am in no rush to repair the pump now that leak at connection seals is fixed so I think I will just monitor our electricity use the next 6 months now that I know a specific date the pump stopped moving hot water to my buffer tank.

8. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

If setup properly the fact is HWG does save money. I actually disable mine for winter use. I need all the heat I can get. Summer is free hot water except for running the circulation pump.

9. ChrisJ

The circulator doesn't turn on in the summer until the loop temps get high enough. I don't know what the compressor discharge temp needs to be to turn on the circulator.

I think you are losing out on a lot of hot water generation in winter. Why not keep the DSH on until you actually need the 10% of capacity that the HWG takes from the heat pump.

I can only guess that you (nc73) are in a more cooling dominated climate.

10. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I'm trying to use up the last 50 gallons or so of my propane, so that's the main reason I disabled it. I have an instant hot water heater and it's just me in the house most of the time. It would be a waste to have all that hot water stored and I don't use enough of it.

11. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

I discovered what might have caused my HWG pump to fail, my water heaters are starting to rust out and need to be replaced. They were 10 yrs old in November. ChrisJ, how do like your Geospring finishing heater? Mine is standard electric today and I have been reading about heat pump heaters. My main questions are how much noise does the heat pump make and does it impact ambient temperature in the area it is installed in? Mine are in basement right below bedrooms and I have worked to the basement much warmer over the past few years.

12. ChrisJ

I like it. It's about as loud as a portable dehumidifier.

I have a 9' X 14' mechanical room and leave the door open. I can notice the lower temp in the room, around 2-3*F.

That room is directly below my master bath. The hum of the geo is more noticeable then the water heater.

13. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Really? I have heard some really loud dehumidifiers.

14. ChrisJ

Well then it's quieter then that...

Real helpful, thanks.

IsItForMe likes this.
  15. Mike McFadin

Mike McFadin New Member

Appreciate the information ChrisJ. Heat Pump water heater is definitely looks attractive. I didn't even realize these were available until I started looking around.