HUGE Problem with My New Geothermal/Radiant System

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Forum Administrator, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Welcome to the GeoExchange Forum

Welcome to the GeoExchange Forum. The forum provides the opportunity to ask questions, share information and generally improve the general understanding of geothermal heat pump systems.

Anyone can view the forum discussions, and an easy registration process allows viewers to post to the forums.

The forums are moderated regularly and every avenue is pursued to prevent spam; if you see any spam, please contact the Forum Administrator or use the Report Post feature if you are logged in.

Feel free to make suggestions about how the forums can contribute to your efforts.

2. bobmarker

bobmarker New Member

Just finished our retirement dreamhome in NE Idaho. It's a big 5500 sqft. plus 2000 sqft. of heated garage space (huge ceilings).

Now that we are moved in, we have had nothing but trouble with our radiant floor heat and geothermal system.

The system appears to not be able to keep up with our heat demand. We are in our 60s, so we like it warm (but not crazy hot). We would like our house to be set at 72, but now that the system has been running for 3 weeks, it is still not able to get up past 68 even with the geothermal pump running full time.

We extract the water from the well and dump in a pond. The heating guy says it should rise about 1 degree an hour, but we are flat lined at 66-68 degrees now, even though the thermostats are all set at 72.

Any suggestions? I just spent $45,000 on this system.

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Two areas you can go after: distribution and source. We can't really comment on either as we don't have enough particulars.

I'd suggest turning off the garage zone and seeing if your system can match the load in the house, that may be an indication of an undersized system. If it still doesn't keep up, you may have poor piping layout (or a mechanical) or a very-undersized system.

4. GeoXNE

GeoXNE Guest

I ditto what Urthbouy says adding that the problem could also be a control issue (miswired or bad setpoints). Does the geo unit itself run fulltime now?

I suggest you talk to the guy you paid the $45,000 to and let us know.

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

There are two issues here

Geo system and radiant. Neither of which should be attempted by the unknowing.

6. Howard Ek

Howard Ek Member

What model # heat pump do you have?

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

More importantly, start with the ACCA Manual J or equivalent load calculation.

A load calculation was performed, yes?

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Throw in the radiant design and capacity at ?temp.
    Joe