how to calculate load for size system?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by HHarpel, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HHarpel

HHarpel New Member

Hi again,

I had one guy tell me he sizes the units based on cooling load and another said he bases the units on heating load? Which is correct? One quoted me for a 4 ton 5 series WaterFurnace and another for a 3 ton 5 series. Should I go bigger or smaller? I'm under the impression the smaller unit will run off the heat strips more and raise my electric bill?

2. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

knowing where you live will help us answer your question

3. HHarpel

HHarpel New Member

I live in Bellefontaine, OH

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Either design method can work.

Mark

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I forgot about the holy grail, a good heat/cool loss calculation.

Mark

6. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

In my area (mid MI) we design by heat loss, as that is the larger of the 2 loads. However we don't design to cover 100% of that load with geo so the size may be somewhere in between heating and cooling loads.
    Judicious use of auxiliary heat allows for smaller back up generators to run geo, smaller duct systems and loop fields, smaller installation cost. We design in less than $100/yr in aux. and save our customers no less than $2,500 on installation cost.
    Further, running a larger compressor all the time to cover infrequent loads is not without year round cost added to the electric bill.
    The other factor in design is cost/kwh for your electricity.