Hot circulating pump

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cal, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Cal

Cal New Member

I'm new to the forum. I would appreciate any input and I apologize if I'm asking something that has already been answered before.
    I had an issue with my climate master tranquility unit and AC.
    The service man found that one of the circulating pumps was unhooked and the company has no record of anyone disconnecting it. He added water to the loop and He reconnected the pump it and it is hot to the touch now. Only the one pump is hot. Is that a sign of something wrong?
    Also it had been 2 years since the company had been out to do anything to the unit and I'm guessing that the one pump has been disconnected for that 2 year period. Would that pump not running affect the efficiency of my furnace?

2. nc73

nc73 Member

It probably only needed the one pump. Once the other one is reconnected it will use more electricity of course. If you don't require additional flow, you're just wasting electricity.

3. Cal

Cal New Member

What about it being hot. Is that normal?

4. nc73

nc73 Member

How hot is hot? It should not get very hot. At least in my experience.

5. Cal

Cal New Member

Hot enough you don't want to keep your hand on it.

6. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes. Pump is seized or air locked.

7. Cal

Cal New Member

I doubt it because my AC is blowing cold air
    It’s 83 outside and 69 in my house

8. nc73

nc73 Member

You need to test for flow rate, turn one off, test for flow, etc. Does flow increase if you have both running, etc

9. Cal

Cal New Member

I will have to ask my service person to do that
    Thank you

10. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

In a two pump system the two pumps should be the same temp...... If one is hot and the other is not, the hot one is sick as Chris mentioned above. If the system is cooling and heating on 1 pump, why would you reconnect the one that is hot?
    Eric

11. Cal

Cal New Member

I didn't reconnect anything. The service tech did. He will be returning to replace some freeze sensors.
    What would you suggest I ask or tell him?
    I have no knowledge on trouble shooting or really any HVAC
    I appreciate your input but can you tell me what I should say