Horizontal Loop field design HELP Design Software??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Adam Porter, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Adam Porter

Adam Porter New Member

Yesterday I posted a question about soil conditions and the concerns I had with Shale. It was answered that Shale,especially moist shale is suitable. So once that was realized I moved on and did my heat gain and loss calculations on my home. (again I am an hvac contractor but know very little about geothermal) Anyhow my calculations came out to be about 3.2 tons of cooling and around 96k btu heating. (I currently have a modulating propane furnace with a 3.5 ton heat-pump.)

The next step was suggested to me this morning by a member that I use climate masters free software to design my loop field. However it will not allow me to download the software. (it says some error occurred) Can anyone please steer me in the right direction for designing a horizontal loop field? I find the slinky method interesting. Any other information needed please let me know. I greatly appreciate the help.

Located in eastern Ohio. Have plenty of space to do whatever. Just need to know what to do and why.

Thanks!!

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Your heating seems high in relation to your heating in your climate.

If you have 96KBTU, simply install (12) 600ft slinkies to cover yourself for all occasions. The program is only as good as the data you feed it with, and you do not have all the data, such as soil thermal conductivity.

6-8 feet down, 10 ft off center, 3 ft wide slinkies, 600 ft length.

Let us know what other questions you have,