Honeywell vs Water Furnace Accessories

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by RoseRx, Nov 3, 2011.

1. RoseRx

RoseRx New Member

I rec'd a quote today from an HVAC contractor for a W/F Envision-27 All-In-One heat pump w/ 10 yr labor/parts mfr warr. He would using Honeywell T.stats and zoning controls w/ a 1 yr warr. I went on-line and W/F offers their own proprietary T.stats and zoning system. Would W/F's accessories have a 10 yr labor/parts mfr's warr like their geothermal unit and would W/F's accessories be prohibitively expensive vs Honeywell's?

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I try to

supply good stuff with my projects. I am not married to any manufacturer. I do try and stay away from re-branded stuff. The last time a customer bought a part from WF I could have gone with the manufacturer's issue at a 70% savings.

The warranty is only as good as the dealer providing the labor.

Mark

3. RoseRx

RoseRx New Member

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. b The next paragraph below is W/F's warranty statement, although I am confused by this passage, "but because our customers have varied needs and budgets, we offer several optional warranties that, if selected, can reduce the cost of the system. Discuss the options to determine which warranty best fits your needs." Is the W/F 10 yr parts/labor warranty negotiable?

Because of the quality we build into every WaterFurnace product, WaterFurnace Worry-Free warranties are among the best you'll find. We're so confident in the reliability of our units, our standard warranty provides you with protection for a minimum of 5 years, and 10 years on our high-end products.
    Our program covers all unit parts and any WaterFurnace accessories included as part of the system, including Intellizone systems, thermostats and flow centers. In addition, your WaterFurnace dealer receives a labor allowance to offset labor expenses which may be incurred in the unlikely event of a failure.
    We're confident you'll be happy with our standard warranties. But because our customers have varied needs and budgets, we offer several optional warranties that, if selected, can reduce the cost of the system. Discuss the options to determine which warranty best fits your needs.
    Note: WaterFurnace accessories are covered for 5 years parts and labor.

4. WF_Inc

WF_Inc Member

RoseRx,

Our residential units come standard with a 10 year parts and labor allowance warranty; however, the WaterFurnace dealer does have the option to buy down to a 5 year parts and labor allowance warranty. The warranty is not negotiable.

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

In other words all are quoted ten years, but it is a paid for extended warranty. While a clever use of the term "standard" it does not live up to the implication.

6. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

I don't know how WF's offerings fit into the picture, but there
    are VERY significant legal differences between a "warranty"
    and an "extended service contract" -- even if/when the latter
    is referred to (imprecisely) as an "extended warranty."

Business persons' guide to federal warranty law

7. AMI Contracting

Looby makes a good point that all should understand the language and its implication in their warranties.

My point was I don't know any other brand that allows you to downgrade from their "standard" warranty and thus pay less for a product. It allows WF to advertise a superior warranty while it is not necessarily offered to an individual customer.

Frankly I find it disingenuous.

8. RoseRx

RoseRx New Member

Thanks for your replies.

What should I do as a customer to protect myself?

9. AMI Contracting

familiarize yourself with the details of your contract including warranty. dissappointment only occurs when you think you purchased something you didn't.

10. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Warranty

I've seen it as commonplace. The 1,5,10 year warranty options amongst manufacturers and associated pricing. The only difference being the availability of 10-year options.

11. AMI Contracting

CM and Bosch products have optional 10 year warranties, they just don't call them "standard".

12. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I agree with Joe. I think it is lousy for WF to promote the ten year warranty as standard and then let the dealers buy it down with out telling the customer that they don't have the ten year warranty.

13. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It is not lousy of the manufacturer to give that option. Instead, it is lousy of the installer not to tell the customer that they cut a corner. The only reason an installer would do that is to increase his bottom line, to the disadvantage of the customer.

14. AMI Contracting

My point is the symantical shell game being played here, or in other circles it's known as bait and switch.

Can we not all agree that "standard" automatically is included on all units? If one is paying more for it (vis a vis can opt out and pay less for the unit) then is it really standard? You think WF marketing dept. didn't know this would create the impression that all units have a 10 year warranty?

My Amana furnaces have a 10 year standard part warranty providing the rules are followed. If someone doesn't take 2 minutes to register the product then it drops to 5 because the rules were broken, same as if a resi furnace is in a commercial application.....but these are simply the terms and the conditions. I can't get an Amana for less money with a shorter warranty.......that's standard.

15. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I don't think it is wrong to have the option to buy down the warranty. For example for the Hydron, you can reduce the warranty from 10 years down to 5 years, and save a bit over $1200 off the list price. One of the reasons HPs are more expensive than they used to be is because they come with a very long warranty to give customers comfort with a technology which is new to many. Not always necessary, given the reliability of the units.

16. AMI Contracting

I didn't say the option was wrong. The implication is wrong- deisingenuous- bait and switch etc. Standard features are not optional. "optional" 10 year warranty would be more accurate.