Ontario Home Basic Maintenance of a Geo System

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrpac, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mrpac

mrpac New Member

Hi all,

I am a tweaker/tinkerer. I have finally come to grips with my issue that will plague me for years to come.

That being said, apparently I fit the role for being a GEO owner/operator.
    I am also a PLC developer (write programs for automation) and electrician, so I have lots of experience with controls. I hope to spend many future years having fun with this GEO system that I have inherited through a house purchase.

That being said, the physical water/compressor GEO stuff is all new to me.

I have found a website that goes through some pretty basic testing for most GEO systems.
    https://www.contractingbusiness.com/service/10-steps-servicing-geothermal-heat-pump

I would like to perform most of the maintenance on my own, other than items that absolutely need to be carried out by an experienced person.

In the maintenance website tutorial it asks to measure temp, pressure for the Delta readings. I have some fancy ports on my recirculation water lines but I don't know much about them - are they quick release fittings for reading pressure? There is probably a technical term for them.....I really just want to be equipped to provide information if required - and to check things every once in a while.

What I am looking for is a few things -
    1) Basic toolkit of instruments required so that I can provide basic information if asked
    2) local to Greater Toronto Area GEO experienced service tech company that I can be referred to

2. Michael Mulder

Michael Mulder New Member

I would describe myself similar to you. I'm curious if you had any luck finding tools to help out?

3. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

Here’s my very short list of tools I have and would recommend to you:

1. Thin probe thermometer to measure entering and leaving water temps at the Pete’s ports. You can also use something like this to measure the entering and leaving air temps near your evaporator coil
    2. Pressure gauge with needle point to measure the pressure drop across the coax, which can ultimately tell you the flow rate

Use only one each of the above to take your measurements. The delta is more important than the exact numbers

Once armed with these, my curiosity grew... I added

3. Refractometer to verify the antifreeze concentration in my closed loop
    4. A homemade flow meter (again, for my non-pressurized closed loop). More on this in this thread.

Finally, I jumped all in (to me at least) to find out very much more about how my system was running...

5. Www.welserver.com

Last, and certainly not least, a very, very valuable tool:

6. https://www.geoexchange.org/forum/

Good luck!

Michael Mulder likes this.
  4. mrpac

mrpac New Member

Well it has taken about 6mo for anyone to respond to my original post, for that I am happy I guess - seems like people are too busy on this forum to respond - not typical to other forums that I am familiar with.

I have found an infrared non-contact thermometer valuable to provide the Deltas if required - but stay away from shiny surfaces.

So far my system has worked well without issue. I did locate a dealer very close to me Quest Geothermal - and they assured me that the system that I have requires no maintenance - other than cleaning the air filter.

My system is closed loop, so may differ from many spoken about - wells and such are not applicable for me.

Have fun!

5. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

No response is very unusual. For me, I may view a post, feel like I have something to offer in a reply, but get pulled away before I can. That post is no longer a "New Post" in the eyes of this forum, and can go unnoticed. Sometimes posting a reminder helps get a reply.

Anyhoo, I agree with your dealer's assertion that no maintenance other than filter changes/cleaning is necessary. That's all I've done since October 2013, and it's run without issue the whole time.

Peace!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019