High Humidity Climatemaster Tranquility 27

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mrpac, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mrpac

mrpac New Member

Hi All,

I have switched over to Heat, and running a SP of approximately 20deg C - I am experiencing high humidity levels in the house. I have poked around in the unit, and everything appears to be looking OK, no plugged hoses etc.
    When we were looking at the house for purchase in January (-25 deg C) the owner had a dehumidifier working in the basement. I found that odd, considering the basement was finished and is situated on high ground.

The current settings are :

SetP - 20 Deg C
    Dehumidification Setting 35%
    Fan: Continuous

Actuals on the Thermostat are RH 63%

Based on the temperatures being all over the place it would seem, the heat has only really started working for the last few days.

I realize that here in Ontario the precipitation has been higher than normal, but what I am wondering is will this value come down finally with a higher level of heat being produced more frequently from the system? Just wondering why the RH is so far off from the Setp for dehumidification in the thermostat.

I am used to closed loop controllers, and it seems like this controller is way out!

Thanks again for any support that I may receive,

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

I think the dehumidification only works in cooling. Might have to research that setting to see if the heat pump has that option, it could just be an option on the thermostat.

My humidity climbs in Fall season because the cooling doesn't run. I have to use a portable dehumidifier to keep the house around 50% RH

Tell us more about the house, insulation levels, air tightness.

3. mrpac

mrpac New Member

Thanks Chris,

The house was built in the late 80's. I don't know much about the insulation R-value, as it was recently purchased. It is an old Viceroy model (wooden home with Cedar exterior)
    The basement is finished, the windows are double pane, but need replacing. Air tightness seems to be somewhat tight from my perspective.

You are probably right about the dehumidification system only working with the AC. I just assumed that there must be some sort of tighter control for the humidity when the heat was enabled.
    It sounds like it is common practice to have to keep running a separate dehumidifier while in heating mode.

I am up in the air about the FAN mode - should it be on continuous or AUTO? I have done a lot of reading on this topic - and it sounds like that it can be a possible contributor to the issue as well - although I would love to hear what others think.
    It just seems to make sense to keep circulating air around if it is one of the less energy consuming DC fans.

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

I have read that having the fan on auto in the cooling season is better, with it on continuous it reintroduces moisture into the house after the compressor shuts off.

I run my dehumidifier near my main return duct and run the fan on continuous. My thinking is it's drawing the dehumid air into the duct system.