Utah Help hooking up Pex Al Pex to manifold

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Utah, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Utah

Utah New Member

I'm new to Geothermal and I have a local company that I hired to install and spec the system. I installed the radiant throughout the house using Pex Al Pex. It was easier to manage and was told it transfers heat more efficiently as well as less expansion noise.

The company hired attempted to connect the pex al pex to the manifolds and almost every fitting leaks. Because I installed the piping they want me to install the fittings to the manifold they claim they just don't work with Pex al Pex. After doing some reading I've figured out that.
    1. They didn't prepare the tubing by reeming each pipe out. This made the o-rings roll on install and leak.
    2. The manifolds have copper male MPT fittings. This is one I can't figure out because there were several that leaked at the threaded end as well. Teflon was used on each of these connections.

My question is...
    1. Do I sweat on new compression pex al pex fittings and forego the threaded MPT?
    2. Any additional tips or tricks would be helpful.

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi and welcome!
    Pex pipe plus a shark bite type fitting can be tricky. One tip I can recommend is that the pipe must be totally relaxed at the connection. There must not be any tension on the pipe at the connection. I am sure others can share their experiances.
    Eric

3. Utah

Utah New Member

Does shark bite make a Pex al Pex fitting? I was under the impression from talking with others the only option is Compression fittings or Crimp requiring a special tool

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I have seen those manifolds with a plethora of connections. Not shark bite fittings by name, but a stab and grab fitting just the same.
    Eric