Help appreciated with this geothermal quote

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by newtogeo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I have not moved

I am still within range to look at this job.

2. newtogeo

newtogeo New Member

ok, we are framing the house right now if you want to come take a look at the site. Let me know if you want to set up a meeting time.

3. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Send me a PM here

and I will get you my phone number.

Mark

4. newtogeo

newtogeo New Member

Updated quote for 3 ton unit

I have an updated quote. He met with me again and brought two options to the table. He gave me an open loop option since we will need a well for water anyways, and also gave me a closed loop option. Both are now figured with a 3 ton hydron module system. He said after re-calculating the numbers that a 3 ton would be a good fit. I've attached both quotes.

With the difference in cost between the open and closed loop, along with the 30% tax credit on the well (since it will be used for geothermal), the system would be $6,900.00 less to go open loop. With that much savings, it would be tempting to go that route, and since we have some land to work with, I could always convert to closed loop down the road if water quality/quantity/etc. change, right?

Attached Files:

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes you can convert to closed loop later, just not for 30% off.

6. newtogeo

newtogeo New Member

ok, thanks for the update. I'm a little confused, though. My installer definitely seems more familiar with the closed loop than the open loop, but is confident in his open loop setup. He has proposed one well and that the open loop will return the used water to the well high in the casing. I'm confused because everything I have read says that the water should be returned to a separate well at least 100 feet away from the well where the water is drawn from. Is it feasible for him to design this system where the water is returned to the same well where it is drawn from? I don't understand how the well water temperature wouldn't be affected. Any ideas?

7. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

look up "standing column well".

8. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Make sure you have a Cu-Ni coil in the open loop heatpump.