New Brunswick Heating Indoor Swimming Pool with Desuperheaters - Closed Loop Geothermal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by andred_18, Jul 16, 2020.

1. andred_18

andred_18 New Member

I have a 11,000 gal (41,000L) indoor swimming pool. The previous owner was heating the pool with propane but this seems to be costing us a small fortune, especially during our Canadian winters. The pool surface is area is roughly 16ft x 27ft, with a 15ft celling. There is a mini split installed in the pool room for heating. There is also an air-to-water heat pump used for humidity/heat recovery.

I have 2 Water-to-Air heat pumps on 2 separate closed loops that heat my home. The heat pumps are a 5-Ton Nordic R-65-HACW and a 2.5-Ton WaterFurnace. I have nine (9) wells each 150-ft deep : 5 wells for the 5-ton HP and 4 wells for the 2.5-ton HP. Both heat pumps have desuperheating capabilities already installed. They have copper coils.

My question is the following: would I be able to use my desuperheaters to heat my indoor swimming pool without compromising my home heating capabilities? Would this be an efficient way to heat the pool? If so, what would be the best setup? I know pool chemicals and salt will corrode copper. Would it be best to use a heat exchanger?

2. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

I can't fathom how you could use a desuperheater to heat an indoor pool. Desuperheaters don't work all the time (incoming loop water temp determines this) and I don't think there is a way to regulate their output other than being on or off. On top of that, they don't produce that much heat. Fine for a hot water heating tank of say 50 to 80 gallons but you are talking about 150x that size.

air source heat pumps for outdoor pools use titanium heat exchangers to run the pool water through. I would presume that you would need a dedicated water to water heat pump to heat the pool with a titanium heat exchanger to deal with the pool chemicals.

3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

No...not a good idea. What is the entering water temp at the end of the heating season. That way you can determine if you have enough capacity in the loop fields to even entertain the idea to add a water-water for dedicated indoor pool heating. With everything else, you are just asking for trouble and wasting your time.