Colorado Heat pump WH near Geo HP

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JD B, Sep 7, 2019.

1. JD B

JD B Member

I getting ready to install a Hybrid Heat pump water heater in a 700 sq ft unconditioned basement next to the geothermal HP. Colorado has minimal humidity and the ambient room temp (summer) is 60 - 70. The HP WH will pull heat and any humidity from the air and return cold air. There's no air exchanger unit/capacity in the room (below ground - no windows).

AHRI Standard 320-1998.pdf - references air temperature around geothermal hp units as different cooling vs heating, which I don't really understand for Geo-HP efficiency. What impact could the cold air have on the Geothermal HP in winter months? I'd think it beneficial in the summer if loop temps rise.

Anyone have experience they can share?

2. mtrentw

mtrentw Active Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Miniscule impact. I have similar setup. It des keep that room a bit chilly.

3. JD B

JD B Member

Perfect - thank you.
    I could see good outcomes summer as I've had recent high loop temps. The unit installs next week but I hadn't considered winter HP output as blower draws from the room. Ductwork is from the bare metal era - warms the room but cools the output. As the WH heater needs warm air to function so any thoughts on insulating the ducts or venting WH to the outside? GeoSprings have that option. Are you getting the results promised/expected?

4. mtrentw

Perfect results. Don’t bother venting to outside. Whatever vents out would be made up somewhere. Minuscule impact. I’d say insulation unnecessary for small amount.

5. JD B

JD B Member

Thanks - good to know from someone that has one. Last question - do you call a plumber or HVAC for repair?

6. mtrentw

plumber for water related issues or basic install. If not heating, possibly hvac man. Should be worry free for years until replacement. Just clean filter screen occasionally.

7. JD B

JD B Member

Thanks again. I'm a few miles out of a small town - its important to get the right guys called so not to waste everyone's time. The GeoSpring has a 1/10 warranty that I extended to 4/10. The early GE models rated really bad and have a class action pending - the Pro model appears better.

To keep the time of day metering system with rural power, all installed electrical units must be thermal storage or high efficiency. During off-peak, cost per each kW is 5 cents less. Am replacing a Marathon whose electrical caught fire from a lightening power surge event - so much for the lifetime tank warranty.

8. mtrentw

I’ve a geospring. No problems since 2012.

9. JD B

JD B Member

REALLY great to hear - also to see that it can perform in cold country in a basement. Most comments found on them were installations in temperate zones where the cold discharge was a benefit. I've wondered if the WH will do well if the room chills to 40ish from the cold return air. Clearly it hasn't disappointed. Feel a lot better about the purchase.

10. mtrentw

It doesn’t get that cold. If it’s too cold, the backup electric heat kicks in. We’ve never been short on hot water. If it is really cold, out desiperheater is generating some hot water to offset water heater demand.