Health Department Loop Recording

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by AMI Contracting, Jan 25, 2012.

1. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

With dubious authority, a local health department is requiring plot plans and ground loop locations (as well as a $50 fee :D) to secure a waiver from them before a mechanical permit can be secured for even horizontal geothermal loop installations.

As I tried to secure this waiver, I noticed there was no clear process and while there is some idea of what they hope to accomplish, the ground work has yet to be firmed up.

Better to share in the developement of this than suffer someone else's possibly misguided focus, we asked to meet with the plans architect and offer our own thoughts of what would be a useful ground loop site plan to future users.

So far we hope to see site plans that identify the following:

Header and field location based on triangulation measurements from permanent land marks. Foot print dimensions.
    Type of loop system.
    Depth of header and loop.
    Type of geo system and loop pipe and diameter.
    Type of antifreeze.
    Location of well, drainfield.

Curious if anyone has thoughts about what else we may want to record or models from another community.
    Thx.
    Joe

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi Joe,

As yet the horizontal is a freebie with no tax or permit required. The verticals are another story. We got ahead of the game and started using a hand held GPS from garmin used for geo cacheing and never looked back. We are so far avoiding any scaling by doing rough shop drawings and putting the GPS numbers at key points ect. The learning curve was a little steep, but now it second nature and the guys are doing it for everything and we include it in our closeout documents for the client.
    Eric

3. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Here in NJ all wells, and bores have to be GPS located. We have to convert LAT/LONG over to NJ state plane coordinates.
    It is required for every single bore,wells or abondonment we do.

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

CGC

CGC requires a site plan worksheet (taken from CSA) that can be uploaded from here:

Canadian GeoExchange Coalition | Accreditation Forms

For the record, we actually don't use that form. We supply our own drawings that put, what we deem, relevant information on. One would consider this a design vs. as-built form.

5. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hey Eric,

are you a geocacher?

6. Calladrilling

I thinking of upgrading to a new mobilemapper10 handheld because of the accuracy and ability to show NJ state plane coordinates.
    What model Garmin are you using and what is its accuracy?

7. waterpirate

I am not a geo cacher, unless you count loops:D. I saw a program on tv about it, googled garmin geo cacheing gps and came up with it. Turns out the cheapest place to purchase was through west marine with coupon. It is compact, bright yellow, and I paid 120.00ish I think
    Eric

8. AMI Contracting

tx for the help guys.
    Met with health dept and mechanical inspector and offered a form/check list.
    Left with the feeling that it may be sometime before the there is tangible progress on what exactly they want from us, but in the meantime we will still be required to provide something.:confused:

9. waterpirate

Typical regulators, They want something, they demand tax, you educate and they get confused. If you keep your something consistant, maybe they will come to believe that your way is the way!
    Eric

10. AMI Contracting

The funny part Eric, is with no other direction, I will simply use my proposed form. Gals at the counter (with no other direction) will likely offer my form as a sample (since no others have been submitted).:cool:

11. Calladrilling

Stay ahead of the curve. Get yourself a professional grade GPS ( mobilemapper10) and get coordinates within 10 accuracy.
    Here in NJ we do state dep permits with coordinates , then a county permit with approval for, dep and they require a sketch plan too.

12. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Is this the unit you are talking about for $4000?

13. Calladrilling

That's the mobilemapper100. I'm talking about the mobilemapper10 it's 1495 with the software