Grout Installation

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by wolfpack65, Nov 2, 2010.

1. wolfpack65

wolfpack65 New Member

I just had a well driller, drill my wells and install the grout for my geothermal system.

Everything I read says that you should grout from the bottom up. However this guy grouted from the top. He placed his grout line down as far as it would go and then filled the grout the whole with grouted until the whole was full.

My question is, should I be concerned that my wells are not grouted correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

If the tremie pipe was not inserted to the total depth of the bore, it was not fully grouted. If the bore contains water it should pose no real problem. If the bore was done in rock, and not fully grouted I would expect some reduction in performance but how much is questionable and elusive. Vague reply but need more info to really help.
    method used to drill
    depth of bore / diameter of bore
    lithology
    type of grout and amount used in each bore
    size of loop
    hope this helps

3. wolfpack65

wolfpack65 New Member

Thank you for the response waterpirate. The bore hole was about a foot in diameter (best guess without getting a tape measure on it) and 275 feet in depth. They dropped two loops down each bore hole. I can't remember the name of the grout that they used, but it was a mixture of grey clay, sand and water. I also don't remember the ratio that they used. I know that it was really sloppy and wet. The grout did force water out of the bore holes. One hole settled before he returned to complete the job and he filled it with more grout and dirt. The second whole didn't settle at all.

I hope this is enough information to help you figure out whether I may have a problem or not.

Thanks again.

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

The way you describe sounds like he grouted from the bottom up. Did he just not pull the line up ad he grouted?

5. wolfpack65

wolfpack65 New Member

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to describe the entire installation. The tremie pipe was not dropped to the bottom of the bore. It was put down the bore as far as it would go. My best guess is maybe 40 or 50 feet, if that.