Ground Loop Warranties

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by GeoDosch, Aug 3, 2017.

1. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

There is a 45' run from the unit to where it enters the ground, and 55' of horizontal run to and between the wells. So 200' pipe total in additional to the wells. 1 flow pump. The WaterFurnace is a split unit. The 'outdoor' unit (in the garage) is model NDS038A10AC.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sounds all good.

3. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

The work to convert my loop to non-pressurized is scheduled for next Thursday, using a GeoLink FC1-GLNP flow center. As of now the loss rate has been holding steady at 1.1 cups/day.

4. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

The new flow center was installed yesterday, and so far, so good. I topped-off the Geo-Booster tank one last time just before the work was done, and the rate worked out to 0.9 cups/day (it had been averaging 1.15)

My biggest concern with the new flow center is that there isn't an easy way to monitor the level in the reservoir. :( The only way to check is to take the cap off and look down into the tank. And here's what the Geo-Flo site says about removing the cap:
    I even called Geo-Flow to ask about this, and got an email reply from one of their engineers. It read, in part:
    So I guess I'll have no choice but to remove the cap (carefully!) every few days to make sure the loop isn't still leaking.

5. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What you have there is the response to a home owner meant to keep you from harms way. Many pro's install non pressurized systems new. The engineers do not really recognize them as a way to address a leaking loop. Do not fear and remove the cap with caution and let us know how you get on. I think you are well on your way to a manageable situation that is workable for you.
    Eric

6. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

It's not a case of being afraid to open it, rather that's it's a big PITA to have to do that in order to check the level, especially with the overflow when the level is high and its under pressure (which happened to me once so far.) My reason for posting that entry from their FAQ was to point out that I'm very surprised that the only way to check the level is by opening the cap, yet they caution against doing so. This appears to be an otherwise well-designed unit, so the inability to easily check the fluid level is IMHO a glaring omission, especially considering the consequences of letting it run too low.

waterpirate likes this.
  7. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Since there is usually not the need to check the fluid levels all the time, the flow centers are not designed to do so. If you need to, take the cap off and check the level. Do it when the pump runs is a safe bet.