Ground Loop Warranties

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by GeoDosch, Aug 3, 2017.

1. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

I have a Waterfurnace geothermal system that's about 7 years old, and it's apparent that I have a leak in the ground loop. I have a few questions for anyone who has dealt with this situation:

The ground loop has a 50 year warranty from the installer. When I mentioned it to the tech performing the service, he seemed skeptical as to how much that would cover. Has anyone had their loop repaired under a warranty? (I fully realize every situation can be different. I just want to know what others have experienced.)

If you're wondering why I don't just call the company that installed it and ask them, it's because it appears they're out of business. I'm trying to find out if someone else took over their customer base, though I haven't had any luck yet. It could be they declared bankruptcy and the warranty is worthless. But I'd still like to know the answer to the above, so I'll know how much effort to put into trying to get someone to honor the warranty.

The company doing the work on it now is suggesting adding a leak sealer (like what you might put into the radiator of an old car) to see if that fixes the loop leak. They would also add something to automatically inject water into the loop as it needs it. I'll also need to replace the flow pump, since it's shot, probably from cavitation. My dilemma is, do I make a significant investment in getting the system fixed, with no certainty that it will work without replacing the ground loop, or do I cut my losses and convert the system to a heat pump.

Any and all help is appreciated. TIA.

-George

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What the service tech is suggesting is standard operating procedure for a cranky loop. The size of the leak that is giving you trouble is rarely similar to a plumbing leak in size. I would take the techs advice and go forward.
    Eric

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Our SOP for inheriting leaky loops is to convert to non-pressurized. Haven't had to progress past that stage so far in 11 years.

4. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

Eric, I'm hoping that it's a small enough leak that the sealant can fix it. I'm concerned because the system went 6+ years without needing to have water added, then it only went a week before it was flat again, and had air in the loop (you could hear gurgling in the pipes.) Is that a typical situation for a minor leak, or does that point to something more serious?

Chris, what's involved with converting the loop to non-pressurized? Does that just mean not forcing extra water/antifreeze to bring the pressure up, or are other modifications needed as well?

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A new flowmeter, usually only the canister. IT ensures that the loop is not pressurized anymore, and usually does not loose water anymore. I second that suggestion/measure as a first choice.

6. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

I had asked the tech about making it a non-pressurized system, but he said that would entail replacing the flow center, implying that would be a more expensive way to go. Right now I'm looking at ~$1800 for them bringing in the flush cart to purge the system, adding the sealant and installing the unit to keep the loop full/pressurized. How would the cost of converting to non-pressurized compare to that?

In case it matters, here are some specifics on my system: it's a vertical loop with two 300' wells, and one continuous run through the two wells and back to the pump. The loops also cross my garage via the overhead crawlspace, so the highest point is about 9 feet above the condenser/pump (yes, it was a poorly planned configuration by the original installer.) I was reading some of the other topics here about pressurized & non- systems, and they mention the maximum 30' rise. Is that only between the flow center and condenser?

I appreciate everyones input on this. The service company is still waiting on parts, so I haven't done anything yet.

7. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Non pressurized conversion tanks are available. They are designed for installation with an existing flow center. One example is here-
    http://www.geo-flo.com/?Accessories/Geo-Prime_Tank
    Waterfurnace has the same tank under the GeoLink label. This tank has 1" connections and may not be appropriately sized for your installation. A little research will find you the right tank.

The 30' limit is any piping above the non pressurized tank. 24' would be a more conservative limit. There have been reports of PT ports sucking air above that.

8. docjenser

A non-pressurized flow center should run you less than $1800, at least in my market.

9. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

I wanted to give an update: I'm going with the plan of replacing the flow pump, purging the system, adding a sealant and installing a pump to maintain pressure. For the pump I'm going to use the Geo-Booster. The service tech told me to go ahead and get one myself, otherwise he would have to charge me a mark-up from his cost (which I appreciated.) I purchased a new one for $330, and I will install it myself, except for plumbing it in. I have also checked with Geo-Flow, and they confirmed that the pressure setting could be changed from the factory setting of 35psi. So if the loop still leaks significantly, I can lower the pressure to help alleviate that.

I'm of course hoping this is a long-term solution. But if not, hopefully it will at least get me to the cooler weather. My next step would be converting to a non-pressurized loop.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

10. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Let us know how it goes.
    Eric

11. GeoDosch

GeoDosch New Member

Today the work was done on my system. They replaced the flow pump, added sealant to the system, connected the Geo-Booster pump and purged the loop. The good news is that after 2+ weeks of no A/C during some very hot and humid weather, the system is working again. The Geo-Booster is working well. What's not so good is that it has been pumping water into the loop. Since the system was back up around 11:00 AM it has used 7 cups of fluid. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of the sealant not yet having a chance to do its job. So I'm going to have to see if the rate at which it's using fluid tapers-off, or if it continues at this pace (or gets worse.)

The tech mentioned that the Geo-Booster was pre-set at 45 psi, though the specs say it comes from the factory set to 35 psi. He said the current recommendation from the manufacturer is for the loops to be kept between 45-60 psi, so it could be that Geo-Flo is shipping the pumps adjusted accordingly. I asked about lowering it due to the leak, though he said running at lower pressure puts the flow pump at risk for damage. I would think that as long as there's no air in the system, the pump should be okay, so I don't know if anyone here has insight on that.

If the loop continues to need fluid added, then it seems the next step would be to switch the system to be non-pressurized, which would mean most of what I spent today would have been for naught (though I could try to sell a slightly used Geo-Booster to offset a bit of that.)

12. docjenser

Good luck. Keep us posted.